2007/09/18

A Thai Woman-Wipha

I love Taiwan, especially this year. We have one typhoon holiday a month. In August, we were given one day off, because of super Typhoon Sepat. Last night, I came home late after clogging dance class, my husband told me that there would be no schools and offices the following day due to super Typhoon Wipha. And it poured whole night last night. I couldn't help wondering where the massive amount of water actually came from in the first place.

It was quiet and peaceful this morning when I woke up at eight thirty (late, I know), no winds, not much rain either, not so much like a typical typhoon day. I googled the meaning of Wipha on line, and found it is a name of woman, contributed by Thailand, and pronounced wee~faa. Luckily, I found a Youtube videoclip of Typhoon Wipha taken in Okinawa this morning. It was a humorous reporting of Typhoon Wipha on site. I thank her for sharing the local information and condition. I think I should do likewise in Taipei. Then we can have a typhoon report relay, to share a real on-going natural story with people around the world.

Actually, it rained in Taipei whole day yesterday. When the postman rang once at ten o'clock in the morning, I rushed downstairs to answer the bell. I was so surprised when the postman handed me a big package in the rain! I unwrapped the beautifully wrapped box instantly to find an exquisite Japanese dancing fan along with a hand written letter from a dear Japanese friend in Tottori Prefecture. He congratulated on my obtaining of Natori in 2006, and apologized that he couldn't make it to PHP annual conference in Nagaya, October 20th, 2007, due to his health condition.

Now, while I'm looking at the satellite image of Typhoon Wipha, I shall say she is like a powerful and beautiful Thai woman dancing in the huge blue sky with her long chiffon drifting behind her. I hope she would care for the living beings living along the coastal area of China and have mercy on them today and tomorrow. Sherry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily, the typhoon was not devastating. It seems not real
to rest at home under such an unthreating weather condition.
I guess the island is blessed being able to get away from all the possible damage, or after all Wipha, as a graceful woman, was merciful enough not to act brutally.

Well, on a second thought, why not embrace the unexpected holiday and relax.

Trini

Anonymous said...

I don't have a habit to stay home on Typhoon holidays. I'm always eager to inspect what happened and what is happening. The gusts were stronger when I left the coffeehouse this afternoon. I could hardly hold my umbrella tight. It was fun dancing with my umbrella (flying in the air) in the rain! I am thinking about a set of clogging dance steps called "Typhoon"!

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...