2010/12/19

Debut Flamenco Dance

Life is a journey of unknown. You never know when you will come to the crossroad.

When my Japanese dance teacher told me that I needed to add more passion to interpret 桂銀淑’s Besamemucho, I thought it was time I learned an authentic Spanish dance to understand the feelings and love of Spanish people. That’s how I embarked upon my flamenco dance journey four months ago.

I surfed on the internet and found a free trial flamenco lesson at Falla Flamenco FamilyTuesday afternoon, July 20th. Five visitors showed up, including four ladies and one gentleman. Our flamenco dance teacher Manzana Lee is a young and sweet lady. She founded the Falla Flamenco Family with her husband Joseleon, an outstanding flamenco guitar player, in 2004.

In order to know more about the Falla Flamenco Family, I invited Toastmaster Irene Chen and her sister to see their live performance at Barcelona Restaurant Saturday evening, July 24th. The one hour live show featured a singer (Manzana), a guitar player (Joseleon), and many young and beautiful flamenco dancers on stage. I liked their romantic and authentic way to present the flamenco dance to the audience. At the end of the performance, five guests were invited to dancer with Falla Flamenco Family members and each was presented with a small gift as the token of appreciation. I signed up my first flamenco dance class with Falla Flamenco Family in early August.

Four ladies at the trial dance started the first term of 8 lessons to learn the popular dance from Seville (Andalusia). After learning the first part for two months, one student dropped out, Fiona joined our class as a returned student in October.

The sevillana is an old folk dance, composing of 4 parts with the rhythm of 3/4 or better 6/8. Each part is divided into 3 coplas, and with each copla made up of 6 movements. It is a very vivid dance, full of turns. The sevillanas is danced by couples of all ages and genders during celebrations. This is why learning flamenco usually starts with the sevillana.

I was glad to have Fiona as my dancing partner. At the first sight of her, I knew Fiona was a born flamenco dancer. She had it all, tall, slim, dark hair, big eyes, sexy lips. She gave people a strong impression of her personality, likes and dislikes. Fiona began the flamenco dance three years ago, and took a recess for a long time.

In order to break our legs at Falla's Christmas Party, Fiona and I practiced very hard for the past two weeks. We practiced everywhere in Taipei, in front of an office building, in front of a temple, at the park, at the coffeehouse. We were the first couple to arrive at the Christmas party venue to rehearse.

When the party began, Toastmaster Irene and her sister showed up just in time. I was grateful for their support and help taking photos and videoclips of my debut flamenco dance on stage. As the beginners of flamenco dance, we were the second group to dance on stage. When it was our turn, Fiona and I walked tall with big and confident smiles on our faces. Four of us danced with the same hand gestures, turned at the same time at the perfect timing. In the end, we wowed the audience and won a big applause from the floor.

Falla Flamenco Family has a tradition to host two big flamenco events every year. I was contented to have my Debut Flamenco Dance at Chirstmas party 2010. By the time, I finish all four parts of the sevillana dance at Falla Flamenco Family, I shall be ready to perform my second flamenco dance in public at the Summer Flamenco Festival 2011 in Taipei.

It's my plan to visit Seville in April 2012 to participate in their annual La Feria de Sevilla. When I told Fiona about my plan, she asked if she could come along. "Of course, with great pleasure", I told Fiona, "we shall be the most attractive and charming sevillana dancers from Taiwan.

PS: The mnemonic chant rhyme, Part I includes Copla 1:基本步 X 5 + ending turn, Copla 2: 基本步 + 劃輪 X 4 + ending turn, Copla 3 基本步 + a half turn X 4 + pose turn; Part II includes Copla 1:基本步 + 踏踏踏 + 踏鉤踩 X 3 + ending turn, , Copla 2: 基本步+ 踏踏踏 + 踏扭扭 X 6 + ending turn, Copla 3 基本步+ 踏踏踏 + 轉時鐘 + pose turn.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...