2010/12/26

Year-End Party of Legacy Toastmasters Club

Thirty Toastmasters sang late Christmas carols at the annual year-end party of Legacy Toastmasters Club hosted by Toastmaster Harry Fong, Founder of Legacy and Past D67 Governor, at his grand mansion, Sunday evening.

George Yen, 2nd International Vice President, and Mike Yang, Incumbent D67 Governor, were the toastmasters guests of honor. Four golden ladies Toastmasters, Michelle, Pamela, Trini, and I, joined the year-end party upon the invitation of Lydia Lin, Harry's beloved better half every year.

I was full of excitements about my debut chamber recital a cappella in front of Toastmasters fellows. It was a surprise. Nobody knew that I would sing. In order to break my leg, I practiced Pie Jesu and O Mio Babbino Caro a few times before I dressed up and fetched a big bottle of red wine from the cellar.

The traffic was smooth Sunday evening. It took me less than thirty minutes to get to Harry's mansion from Hsin-tien. It was cold and dry on the street. Everybody seemed to stay home after the Christmas weekend, in order to get ready for work the following week.

The year-end party started at seven o'clock. Four golden ladies were early birds. We helped Harry set the table, we helped Harry entertain the guests, we helped Harry taste the delicious food he and Lydia prepared affectionately. We ate, drank, and sang like we were at home. In the middle of the party, Harry announced my recital excitedly, upon my request.

I attempted O Mio Babbino Caro first. I was out of tone at the beginning and I forgot the lyrics. Being in a positive and supportive learning environment, I was encouraged by toastmastes around me to give it another try with music notes in my hand. I finished the entire song non-stop. Harry was eager to give evaluation. Mike told me in private that it was a good try.

When Lydia arrived at the year-end party after her rehearsal of Messiah with YWCA Oratorio Choir, I invited her to sing Pie Jesu with me. Before we finished the song, Harry couldn't wait for us to do it again some time later when Lydia and I are much better prepared.

The Debut Concert Recital was a good begining. I was glad that I made it. In 365 days, I shall let toastmasters open their eyes and delight their ears at the annual year-end party of Legacy Toastmasters Club in 2011. It is going to be one of my new year resolutions!

It was after 11PM, when the Toastmasters were ready to call it a night. Every toastmaster who hung around till the last moment carried a bag of desserts to take home. On my way home, there was no traffic. I rode my motorcycle at the speed of 60 kilometers plus with all my nerves on alert. In a swift, I arrived home in one piece, took a hot shower, and snuggled in my warm bed.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...