2010/11/23

Long Live the 8th Dorm

ちょちょけ飛んで來い
江津湖の岸に
なにか夢見る中の島
ソレ、熊本火の國祭り
サアサ手拍子
踴る手拍子、足拍子


Wrote Teiko the lyrics in her book 八寮バンザイ about her childhood memories. The little Teiko sang loudly and cheerfully the Kumamoto folklore of the Land of Fire Festival on the small fishing boat drifting upon Lake Ezu one summer afternoon with her family in one chapter on River Excursion.

Toastmaster Teiko Uemura was sweet and kind to keep my company today! She arrived at Toyoko Inn at ten to nine. I told her I changed my mind not to visit Miyazaki brothers Museum in Arao. In stead, I preferred a city tour in Kumamoto. It would be more meaningful if I could pay a homage to Miyazaki brothers in Arao next year (the 100th anniversary of Republic of China) for their support to Dr. Sun Yat-sen to found the ROC in 1911.

I told Teiko that I'd like to see the special exhibtion of Hosokawa Yuusai's collections at the Kumamoto Prefectural Museum of Art. I became interested in the artistic achievements of Hosokawa Fujitaki after I saw the Heritage Classroom (古今伝授の間) in Suizenji after D76 Fall Conference Sunday afternoon.

It was a sunny, but windy day today. Teiko and I left Toyoko Inn at nine. Before we arrived at the Tram stop in front of the train station, I had to return to the hotel to fetch a scarf to keep me warm.

Teiko and I got off the tram in front of the City Hall. We walked to the museum. The big yellow Ginko tree with falling leaves dancing in the air caught our attention on our way to the museum. We were excited to feel the power of the falling leaves on us. I asked Tieko to jump up and down in the air, to mediate beneath the Ginko tree. Teiko turned out to be a supermodel at her age of 70!

After seeing the special exhibition of Fujitaka, I couldn't help but falling in love with the interesting and versatile scholar. His handwriting of the Tale of Genji on the framed wooden partition was playful and heartwarming. I like his name of Yuusai (幽斎) particularly. He could indulged himself in the literary activities in his quiet study and devoted himself in preserving the heritage of civilization in Japan..

On our way to lunch, we passed the Kumamoto Traditional Craft Center. Teiko told me that she used to serve tea when working there. I was curious if they still served tea for visitors. Even no tea was served, Teiko and I were treated as VIP. I bought two handmade round fans of ink painting, one with Amakusa Bridge, the other with Kumamoto Castle. Upon my request, Teiko composed a Waka (Japanese poem 5 7 5 7 7) and wrote it on the back of the round fan of Kumamoto Castle.

熊本城前にて

紅葉せる
故里の城
訪ねたり
吾と外つ國の友
よく語り
上村禎子

平成二十二年十一月二十三日

Teiko insisted to buy a pair of Ginko Leave chopsticks stands for me for souvenirs at the craft center. When I arranged them to make a brooch for my winter coat to remember the beautiful autumn of Kumamoto, a city of Ginko trees, the designer told me that many young people used Ginko leaves stands as a pair of earrings. That was an awesome idea, so I thought and thanked him for sharing.

Teiko took me to the original store of Komurasaki for a bowl of authentic Kumamoto noodles. The store was full of loyal patrons even at 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Three cooks behind the counter prepared all kinds of toppings for the noodles. A bus boy was busy taking orders and cleaning tables. The lady owner was smiling collecting the money at the door. Everybody was uplifted at the store of a nostalgic atmosphere.

Honestly speaking, I couldn’t tell the difference between Hakata and Kumamoto noodles, but I liked both of them, just the same. I love noodles, Kanto Noodles, Kansai Noodles, Korean Kinchi Noodles, Taiwanese Beef Noodles, I always drink the soup till the last drop to show my gratitude to the delicious artifact of the heart by the revered chef.

After lunch, we took the bus to Tatsuda Nature Park to visit the tomb of Hosokawa Yuusai. When we passed the campus of Kumamoto University, Teiko told me that she graduated from English Teaching Department. During college days, Teiko joined the tea ceremony circle and participated in annual tea ceremony event at the Hosokawa resident at the foot of Mt. Tatsuda. Tea ceremony has been a heritage in Kumamoto since Hosakawa times.

Mt. Tatsuda formerly known as Mt. Kurokami, is a large hill reaching 152 meters above sea level. With my bus pass, I got the free entrance to visit the tombs of Hosokawa clan located in the beautiful moss garden of 495 square meters. The autumn foliage at the garden was a must see. At the four tombs of Yotsugobyo, I saw a large chozubachi in front of Lady Garcia's tomb. It was her favorite. Just before she committed suicide, she meditated while gazing at her reflection in the water.

PS: It's the third encounter of Teiko and me. When Teiko gave me a package of two books of hers upon my arrival in Kumamoto, I didn't open them till I got home. Long live the 8th Dorm was like Teiko's autobiography form her early childhood in Taiwan till her graduation from Kumamoto University and worked as a high school teacher.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...