2010/11/22

Action Speaks Louder

It was raining in the morning! Just about when I was thinking about taking a day off, dozing off at the hotel, watching TV, and drinking coffee. I read an email from Virginia, inviting me to see the photoalubm of her recent trip to China. What a wake-up call it was, I decided on the spot that I couldn't afford to take a break. I should go out to take as many photos of Kumamoto as possible while in town, rain or shine. I had no reason to be lazy being away from home!

It seemed to me that young people in Kumamoto didn't know their city well. When I was at the information center of JR Kumamoto station, I asked a young lady on duty how to get to Musashi's grave, she didn't know where it was and had to check with her colleagues.

Miyamoto Miyoko 宮本美代子

Miyamoto Miyoko is my pen name in Japanese. There are three reasons behind the pen name. First, the pen name means Lady of Leisure when it is pronounced in Taiwanese. Second, Miyamoto Musashi is a famous Japanese swordsman in Taiwan. He won every duel. Third, I admire the spirit of the sword master Miyamoto Musashi and his philosophy. He is an action taker. He left the world with his Book of Five Rings.

Nothing could be in my way, when I made up my mind to go to Musashi's grave. In the rain, I saw the statue of Musashi Miyamoto and I prayed in front of his grave. I felt contented I was able to join him for a few moments during my journey in Japan.

After a short rendezvous with Musashi, I took the train back to Kumamoto, returned to Toyoko Inn to recharge my camera battery. When I asked the staff for information about Kumamoto, they had no ideas where to visit in Kumamoto. I asked them about the Kikuchi Valley, they told me it was too far. I wouldn't be able to get there without a car. When I asked them about the Goddess of Mercy, they told me that they had no ideas. Fortunately, I could use the free internet for on-line information by myself.

I bought a bus pass at 500 Japanese yen at JR Kumamoto Station Information Center, got on the tram from the train station to the Bus Center. Kumamoto Bus Station is huge, local buses as well as buses from all over Japan stop here. I was told by a lady at the information center that a bus was about to leave for Takahira on Lane 33, the next bus would leave in an hour. I rushed to get on the bus on lane 33 without paying much attention on the sign. In the end, I was on the wrong bus.

When the bus arrived at the bus terminal, every passenger got off. I was still on the bus. The bus driver looked at me and asked me where I planned to go. I told him that I wanted to go to Takahira. He shook his head and told me to remain on the same bus back to the Bus Center. He dropped me off at Tsuboibashi and told me to wait for the next bus to Takahira.

I knew Tsuboibashi, because Teiko and I walked across the bridge to visit the old residence of Natsumeisouseki. As I had one hour before the next bus, I decided to visit Natsumesouseki even though I knew the residence would be closed on Monday. In the rain, I visited the residence for the second time by myself. I always took it easy to walk around in the neighborhood till the time I got on the bus to see the Goddess of Mercy in Takahira.

When I saw the Goddess of Mercy* of Kisaburo Matsumoto at the Joukokuji, I felt blissful with tears in my eyes that I was able to worship her in person. The smiling face of Goddess of Mercy reminded me of the Goddesses of Mercy at revered Mount Putuo, southeast of Shanghai I visited in September this year.

I felt the blessing from the Goddess of Mercy when I knelt down to pray and to recite a sutra on the stand. It was the peaceful moment. When I told the monk I was from Taiwan, he gave me a pamphlet of Joukokuji in Japanese and a flier of Zazen in English.

Before I got on the next bus back to Kumamoto, I had about 45 minutes of free time. I took a walk to the nearby You You Kumamoto Vegetables and Livestock Market to see if I could hunt for something for my stomach. On the shelves, there were many fresh vegetables. In the refrigerators, there were all kinds of raw meat. I bought a chocolate pudding and a box of sweetened chestnuts for lunch.

I took the bus back to the city hall, hopped on the tram, got off at Hatcho-baba stop, went to Park Ezuko. It was a pleasant stroll along the river of springs. I saw many plants, animals, and joggers on the protective land of nature and literature. Many stones engraved with Japanese poems by many famous writers were displayed along the trail. Lake Ezu was big, composed of two areas, Kami Ezu and Shimo Ezu. There was a toilette at the entrance. I was regretful I didn't take advantage of it timely.

Just about I decided to find a private place to take care of my biological need, I saw Kumamoto Prefectural Library in front of me. What a relief! When I saw a classic coffee shop in the library, how I wish I could read a book at ease, sipping a cup of freshly brewed hot coffee at the sophisticated and elegant place, looking at the sunset at Lake Ezu from the window wall, but I knew I didn't have the time of leisure, if I wanted to make it to the evening concert of Musashino Music School at Kumamoto Prefectural Music Hall in the evening.

I changed my mind when I saw the entrance to Kumamoto Prefectural Museum of Modern Literature across the library lobby, I couldn't contain my curiosity to see what the museum had to offer. I didn't know that many heavyweight Japanese writers were born or used to live in Kumamoto. I liked the display in the museum, and I liked the paper sculptures of famous literati. I could stay in the museum for hours if I had had the time.

After a quick tour of the museum, I asked the lady at the information center how to get to Kumamoto Prefectural Theater, she told me there was a bus stop three blocks away next to the 7-11 store, but the bus didn't run often. I rushed to the 7-11 without knowing if I was heading for the right direction. I asked the staff at 7-11, he told me there was no bus to the theater. I didn't give up and walked toward the bus stop at far. I asked a policeman on the way, he told me there was no bus to the theater. I didn't give up. When I arrived at the bus stop to check the schedule, the bus to the theater arrived in front of me. It's my luck day!

It was the first concert of Musashino Music School Kumamoto Branch and I happened to be one of their supporters by accident. The concert started at 6:30PM, featuring three splendid soprano singers in the first half of the concert. The second half was the orchestra performance. I liked the evening concert in Kumamoto and I liked the huge and old fashion concert hall.

After the concert, I couldn't find the bus back to the train station. Two ladies on the street helped me find the right bus station and decided to give me a lift back to Toyoko Inn. It's another fruitful day in Kumamoto. The longer I stay in Kumamoto, the more I like this historic city with a lot of natural beauties.

*Goddess of Mercy plays a very important role in the hearts of people in South East Asia and Kyushu Island. Mount Putuo is one of the four sacred mountains in Chinese Buddhism, the others are Mount Wutai, Mount Jiuhua, and Mount Emei.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...