2010/01/24

Rainbows in the Freezer

It’s my second Sunday in town. I’m still in the labyrinth of the huge freezer of Ulaanbaatar. I can’t read the street signs, I can’t walk on the streets for more than ten minutes. I can’t speak the language. But I can hitchhike, there are taxies (no license plates) running everywhere, just raise the frozen hands and they will come to your rescue in a second.

Geser Temple sits at the busy crossroads of west UB. The small temple provided me with an instant warm shelter in the cold. More than a dozen monks were at work chanting and/or healing the believers. I felt the energy and power filled in the small room of spirituality and wellness. After ten minutes warm up, I walked around the backyard of Geser Temple and managed to take a few photos. It took longer time to warm up the camera than to press the shutter in the cold. In less than five minutes, my fingers were frozen painfully.

A Taxi came in time and took us to Torgo where I could find fashionable and stylish Mongolian costumes. Torgo was 200 meters from Gester Temple. It took us 15 minutes to get there in the 24-7 traffic jam just to know that the store was closed for Sunday. A model I made acquaintance with at the JCI Chapter's January meeting walked down in time to the lady's room on the first floor. We had the chance to take a photo together. I was told that there was a fashion show on the second floor, but I couldn't see it in person.

Just think about my desperate situation, I knew I would spend a fortune at the next stop. No sooner than later I walked in the department store, I browsed the entire department store swiftly. My Toastmasters nerves were tickled when a sales lady apporached me with a super big friendly smile. I was determined to buy to hone my negotiation skills and/or to boost the economy in UB. From 20%, down to 30%, further down to 40%, I took out my credit card without reservation. Shopping was fun and I became a different person in a different outfit, much happier and much warmer in heart. I had my own fashion show in UB.

With the new clothes on, I was in a brand new mood to walk tall again. I rushed to Mart Hanaru 50 meters away on foot. It was the first time I walked into a Korean market in UB. I picked up whatever I knew on the dark shelves, tofu, a huge bottle of soysause, three packs of different rice crackers, a bag of dried noodles, a box of miso paste. Everything here was expensive, about twice higher than in Taipei. But it was still much cheaper than eating out at a Korean restaurant.

After shopping of clothes and grocery, we had an easy afternoon tea at Enke's mother's place. We discussed about various children games for the Annual Winter Festival at the Rabbit Farm the coming Wednesday, January 27th. Enke's father was a famous theater actor. After he passed away, his family set up a foundation in his honor to sponor the winter festival for children in the countryside. As I love parties, I am no stranger to childen games. I volunteered to design a few group activities for children.

Enke's brother decided to buy more gifts at Sunday Plaza and Nomin for the kids. We ventured out in UB in his jeep. On our way to Sunday Plaza, I saw three rainbows in the freezing sky. I couldn't remember what was the last time I saw rainbows. But I do remember I saw a big rainbow arch when I was in Mongolia in summer in 2004.

Sunday Plaza is right across from Ulaanbaatar University Korean school. It is a five stories building packed with many small vendor stands of different merchandises, from TV, mobile phones to accessories. I browsed the second and third floors just to find prices too high, even the toilette was not for free. In order not to get lost in the crowd, I decided to settle for a quiet corner. The moment I saw a cafe' displayed with all sorts of sweets, I gave up shopping around. Two waitresses took turns helping me take photos. I shared a table of four with two students, one was a high school student, the other was a college student. Most of them spoke English.

It was a Korean Sunday evening. I made a big hot pot of miso soup with tofu, golden needles mushrooms, ribs for Enke and her son. After dinner, Enke and I toasted the beautiful Sunday with a glass of red wine.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...