2011/11/03

Grand is Fun!

President Gina Cheng has exerted her every effort to make Grand Toastmasters Club a fun place to learn and to grow for members and guests. She invited her aunt Toastmaster Janice Chang from the US to deliver a keynote speech "A Tiger Mom's Reflection" at Grand Toastmasters Club this evening!

Toastmaster Janice was born in Taiwan in 1949. After she continued her advanced studies in the US, she decided to settle down there. During her forty years in the US, she used to join two Toastmasters clubs, one was a community one, the other was a coporate one. Janice and her husband Ben arrived in Taiwan the night before our club meeting. Janice brought a big bag of assorted chocolate bars to Grand to celebrate the belated Halloween! We all felt her passion to TREAT!

Being one of the early birds, I was lucky to chat with Janice and Ben. With a big chocolate bar in one hand, I savored many assorted Oden (おでん), including radish, konnyaku, squid balls, brocoli, President Gina prepared at her kitchen to welcome the hungry membersd and guests. Oh, I was supposed to be on a diet to lose five kilograms! But, who can resist the temptation of mouth watering food in front of our eyes?

During the intermission, I sang «l’amour est un oiseau rebelle» of the famous French Opera Carmen with a red white polka dot flamenco dress on. It was my first trial to sing and play Carmen in public (or in private, to be exact, because it was in front of my club members). With the encouragement of my members, I felt more confident to venture out of my club to perform on stage!

After 20 minutes intermission, Janice told us her story of living and raising kids in the US. She quoted "Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua, and shared with us how Tiger Mothers raising children the Chinese way. Amy's story is about a mother, two daughters, Sophia and Louisa. Janice's story is about a daughter Celeste and a son Eric. Both stories are about the academic and musical achievements, and about a bitter clash of cultures, a fleeting taste of glory.

I don't have any children. I can't imagine what I would do if I were a mother. Would I be like Chinese parents to produce math whizzes and music prodigies? Chances are, I would adopt Toastmasters parenting, I set my children free to explore their world on their own, and let the nature take its course. I will be strick about the commitment to do what they like and do it well. That's how my husband and I lead our lives now!

Action speaks louder. I need to read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (虎媽的戰歌) by Amy Chua (蔡美兒) to know about the action plans of the Tiger Mothers.

2 comments:

manuela di maio said...

ciao sherry, Manuela:-)
how are u doin'ù?
i ve been writing u on ur mail account but mail did come back:-(
it's a boy:-)my pregnancy is goin' allriight and i feel healthy and happy.and u?
let me know ur phone number i need to talk to u:-)
love, manuela

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Carissima Manuela,

Wow, it's a boy! I'm happy for you! Can you feel the boy kicking inside of you?

When will you be due? I'm planning to fly to Italy to welcome your first born child!

Tanti baci,
Sherry

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...