2011/11/07

Stereotype--A Golden Lady

The theme of YWCA Toastmasters Club's first meeting in November was stereotype. A week before, Toastmaster of Evening Kendrick Hu asked me about the stereotype that others thought of me, how others perceived me, whether the stereotype was true or not, and why. I responded that the stereotype of me was A GOLDEN LADY! It's true, because I'm over 50's and I have gold mine in me!

Upon the invitation of Toastmaster Alex Huang, Acting VPE, I delivered Project 3 Diffusing Verbal Criticism of the advanced manual--Interpersonal Communication at YWCA TMC this evening. The title of my speech was "Happy Anniversary".

Toastmaster Cheyenne Machtle played the role as my husband whom I left alone home all the time, because of my enthusiasm and engagement in Toastmasters communication and leadership activities. At breakfast one morning, he accused me of forgetting our anniversary and not being able to make it home for the candle light dinner he prepared for me the night before. I tried out five steps to diffuse his anger and criticism by 1. listening, 2. acknowledging, 3. asking questions, 4. paraphrasing, 5. agreeing with the truth. It was a fun and entertaining roleplay without any rehearsal in advance. We won a big laughter from the floor.

During the intermission, I put on the flamenco dress and performed Carmen for three minutes. It was the fourth time I sang "L'amour est un oiseau rebelle" in front of Toastmasters audiences (first time at Grand TMC, second time at Happy TMC, third time at Lydia's 60th birthday party), I could memorize the lyrics in French by heart. This evening, I concentrated more upon vocalization and expressed more of my feelings and emotions. I was pleased with my performance at YWCA this evening.

Dr. Jap, Godfather of YWCA TMC, agreed to be my individual evaluator upon my request. He praised me for being able to explain how to handle verbal criticism with sincerity. He was pleased with the impromptu dialogue of Cheyenne and me in the role play. He recommended that I use a more specific title, such as happy silver or golden anniversary. He also suggested that I cut short of the lengthy opening and I paraphrase the question skillfully.

After arriving home, my husband told me that he didn't know that I wouldn't have dinner with him this evening. I acknowledged his complaint and agreed that it was my fault, even I told him about my weeky itinerary this week before. I apologized for not having written him an email this afternoon, so that he didn't have to wait for me for dinner. I felt good to apply the interpersonal communication skills to diffuse verbal criticism in the real life at home.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...