2009/06/20

Make It Happen

"Make it Happen"—The slogan of RBS (the Royal Bank of Scotland Group) in Hong Kong, was tailor-made for us. When we saw the eye-catching slogan everywhere at the airport of Hong Kong, we simply couldn't miss this meaningful group photo of four. Four golden ladies toastmasters finally took the initiatives to venture out of Taiwan to join Pamela in Shanghai.

But our excitement was extinguished as soon as we buckled our seatbelts on the airplane. "Due to the bad weather in Shanghai, we are requested to stay on board for at least two and half hours before we could take off", announced the pilot. No sooner than later, the aircraft was filled with complaints in all kinds of languages and dialects, simply chaotic and noisy. I was quiet and patient because I had needlework with me.

I contained my temper and ignored the criticism, but at last I raised my voice to solicit the tranquility and peace on board. "Nobody wants to waste time on board, no movies, no music, no magazines, nobody wants to be late for home or office, but safety is No. 1, isn't it," I shouted. The timely dinner service stopped every passenger's mouth efficiently and effectively. After dinner, I walked to the end of the plane to stretch myself and met an Italian Professor of Management who just couldn't stop complaining. And, I had the opportunity to chat with him in Italian for two and half hours.

We were requested to stay on board when we landed at Pu-dong Airport at a quarter passed ten. A team of 5 HINI inspectors fully gowned in white jumpsuits checked each passenger's temperature with a huge gun-shape thermometer of nine laser points. We were like livestock ready to be shipped to the meat market in Shanghai after the quarantine by the Shanghai City Government.

Right before the clock struck twelve, we checked in the hotel. I was exhausted, but I didn't want my first night in Shanghai empty handed, no chance to go to the pubs downtown, no chance to sip a glass of Martini on Cloud Nine at the Hyatt Hotel. What a waste! I wanted to spend RMB, that's what I was here for!

Five golden ladies chartered a taxi to see the night of Pu-dong for one hour upon my request. When I stood by the Huang-pu River on Bing-jiang Boulevard looking at the Bund across, my tears poured(禁不住兩行老淚撲簌簌掉個不停)the first night day I was in Shanghai. At 2:30, I sat in my hotel room making a postcard for my brother Jimmy who accompanied me to visit Shanghai in 1991. I didn't hit the sack till 3 in the morning wearing a big contented smile!

All's Well End's Well! Shanghai, I am back after two decades. I brought my dear golden ladies toastmasters friends along with me. We made it to Shanghai!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...