2009/04/25

Venture to South Africa in Taipei

It's my destiny to know South Africa. I seldom listen to International Community Radio Taipei (ICRT) on daily basis. But while reading The Biography of a Germ on the veranda Friday morning, I overheard the announcement of South Africa Day and I was thrilled when I knew the details on the internet. My husband happened to be out of town for the weekend, so I ventured to South African in Taipei this morning. And it was so much fun and entertaining. I shall return to the South Africa Day of a bigger and grander scale in year 2010.

Africa is on my travel agenda this year for two reasons, No.1, Barack H. Obama, the 44th President of the United States and No.2, I plan to visit Senegal this summer with Manuela, my dear Italian friend, and her husband. They got married last year. I love Africa, but the only country I've been to in Africa is Morocco. I stayed in Casablanca for a week for business twelve years ago. The big Africa continent has so much to offer, dance, music, food, in addition to safari.

My heart beats faster every time I hear about Africa, the drum beats in the jungle beckon to me earnestly and my feet start tapping spontaneously. That's the reason I jumped at the chance to see South Africa in Taipei. I bought the ticket at door for NT$450 and I enjoyed a splendid day from 11 o'clock in the morning till after five in the afternoon. I didn't claim the big lucky draw, a round trip ticket from Hong Kong to South Africa, but I had Mielie Pap (mash corn), Boerewors (farmer's sausage) on Braai, Savanna Dry Beer, what could I have asked for more?

At 11 o'clock, I walked in the venue of South Africa Day as an early bird. There weren't many people, staff and a few early comers, kids and parents mainly. I took the opportunity to watch the magic show for kids. It was fun laughing with the magician and the kids. Of course, I was hoping something would happen during the hourly lucky draw. But, my number was not called, and I could wait for the big one at 5PM.

The theme of the day was on stage. I walked to the food section and waited in line to get my first bite of south African food. I was lucky to trail the queue, two ladies behind me had to wait, because the boerewors were still on the braai. I first had a big portion of Pap on my platter. When I was told it was made of corn, I got more of it, it looked quite yummy. I like corn products, corn biscuit, corn chips, everything made of corn. By the time, I advanced to boerewors, I saw two chucks in the stainless container. Without a second thought, I tried to have two of them, and the chef-in-charge looked at me and said, "only one for a person"! Wow, it must taste good and cost a fortune!

More and more people were coming at lunch hours. I decided to find a seat in the open air. That's how I got to know Leonie and Teresa. Leonie Reyneke is from South Africa and has been in Taipei for 8 years teaching English and Arts. Teresa has privat English lesson with Leonie. I was alone, so three of us became instant friends. With Leonie around, I felt much at ease with my venture to South Africa. During the lunch, Leonie had tears in her eyes when she heard the romatic music from an Afrikaan Singer, she turned into laughter when she heard a famous popular Afrikaan song of her school years in Pretoria. When she conversed with people at the same table in Afrikaan language, I felt like transcending to South Africa at far. Leonie was a sweet tour guide for Teresa and me. She talked about the history, languages and cultures of South Africa. She drew the old and new national flags of South Africa and how the Rainbow Nation was born!

After a bottle of Savanna and a cup of latte, I had to take care of my biological needs urgently. On my way to the lady's room, I was hooked to the tall and handsome singer in blue shirt being hailed and cheered by young Taiwanese women when he sang Wine of Love in Mandarin. I was instantly mesmerized by his voice and charm. I joined his crowd of fans singing and dancing along one after another Mandarin song, I copied every gesture he made and every movement he displayed. I told Leonie and Teresa about the singer, and asked them for a piece of paper, wrote my request of You're my Flower by Wu-bai. To my surprise, he answered my request and sang it for me immediately after a short break! He made my day, my South Africa Day!

Another big attraction of South Africa Day was the group drum practice. I started Jazz drum a few years ago, then I switched to Chinese drum practice with Hisn-tien female drummers last year. U theater is my ultimate goal. After I saw "The Visitor" 2007 about a professor found heart in drums, I had a dream to learn African drum. And my dream was realized by coaches from Drum Cafe' this afternoon. Leonie and I were the only two adults among a group of toddlers. Leonie was good at drums and I tried to catch up with her and the coaches. At the end, both Leonie and I were contented with the bruises on our palms. Gosh, it felt good!

After the big lucky draw at 5PM and before I left for the day, I introduced Toastmasters clubs to Teresa to answer her curiosity how I acquire my English. And I introduced Arts Village to Leonie and I hope I could be one of her students in Arts one day soon. The South Africa Day is not only one day, but it is also the beginning of many days to connect to the Rainbow Nation in Africa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear sherry,

I believe it was an exotic and interesting time pass and truly worthwhile joy there.
I hope I can attend such kinds of events in different occasions with my friends and families to color and enrich our lives.

Thanks for your sharing!
Have more joyful weekends!

Cheers,
Irene

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Dear Irene,

South Africa is as much diversified as Taiwan, if not more, in terms of languages, cultures, food, drinks, music, dance. I enjoyed making acquaintance with lots of passionate South Africans from the Rainbow Nation Saturday, April 25th. The drumming practice with the toddlers was unforgettable. I recommend you see "The Visitor" if you haven't seen it!

Cheers,
Sherry

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...