2007/11/04

A Welcome Party at Hotel Appeal--November 2, 2007

I'm always looking for the opportunity to promote Toastmasters clubs when I travel in Japan. Whenever I meet with English speaking Japanese, I would switch the topic to Toastmasters.

At the welcome party for Korean delegates from Wo-chou County, the sister city of Gonohe Town, I was set at the same table with all the educators, mainly the principles of elementary and high schools in Gonohe. I reminded myself of behaving properly and talking politely in front of the principles. I kept searching in my little head for the right Japanese words to break the ice with the big heads of Gonohe Town.

Alcohol is no doubt a great catalyst to break the ice. Drinks are more welcoming than food at a welcome party, especailly for Japanese. Tonight, I witness how similar Japanese and Koreans were, by the appearance, the language and even the drinking etiquettes. Nomura Maiko, a fifth graders teacher at Kamiichikawa Elementary School in Gonohe invited me to the welcome party. Nomura sensei told me never pour my own drink. I needed to wait for someone else to do the pouring. And when pouring a drink, I must always hold the bottle with two hands. I knew already "Kanpai" meant drink as you wish for Japanese and Korean, but I just kept the habit of drinking bottom up. Nomura sensei opened her eyes to my drinking capacity. I guess I just inherited my father's genes of north coutnry (my father was born in Beijing!) and it was a great pleasure to drink with people of a kind.

I became a differnt person when Principle Saito Masae of Gonohe Junior High School spoke English with me. Principle Saito used to be an English teacher. I was so impressed with his English langauge proficiency. When we began talking about Toastmasters, I was in such a great mood that I talked faster and faster to cover from the communication manuals to the club management. Principle Saito mentioned that he might have time to do something for his community after he retires next year.


Nomura sensei gave me a lift to Makiba onsen for the night. While we were in the hot spring, I thanked her for inviting me to Gonohe for the fist time while thinking of the possibility of giving birth to Toastmasters clubs in this north country.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...