2007/06/17

In the Mood for Love--A Reflection

It always saddens me seeing two lovers ended being apart.

With Sherry's recommendation, I watched the movie "In the Mood for Love". I don't usually watch Chinese movies. If I have time I would choose good English or American movies only because of their big cast, big budget, big scene, great script and great impact to give. Also I can enhance my listening comprehension by watching them. Of course some Chinese movies are good, too. But when one has only limited time for pleasure, he or she doesn't have much choice.

Glad that I had the chance to watch the movie. It's a love story that doomed to fail. Both lovers are married to others. The times when their spouses were away, when the feelings of loneliness and emptiness crept in, they were lured to be attracted to each other. Was their love for their spouses not strong enough, or was their marriage not built on true love that when they found they were betrayed, they just followed their hearts to seek comfort and new love? I have no answer as the movie was dubbed in Spanish, they spoke too fast for me to catch up.

The slow pace, enchanting music, graceful figure of the leading actress wearing ChiPao, the two vulnerable characters, gave the movie life with artistic value. Yet, what the lovers had is an affair and they had to hide from people and couldn't feel the joy of love is another unbearable sadness they suffered from. Director Wong Kar-wai applied an imperfect ending as a perfect choice to create a lamentable beauty. A happy ending couldn't convince the audience that they would live happily together ever after.

"In the Mood for Love" brought back my long lost dreams. I love watching movies because those that touch upon my heart dearly don't seem to likely happen in people around me or real life. It's the irresistible charm of movies especially Romance movies. It lets our imagination and dreaming roam wide. I don't mind sounding shallow to confess that among so many genres of movies, I love Romance the most.

Romance lets us see the great impact and power of love. After having seen so many Romance movies, and not seen many truly great couples in the real world, my conclusion is that only very blessed people may have the rare chance of experiencing a great and fascinating love. It can only happen or be seen to those who are very fine, both beautiful in their looks and hearts. That's why if a Romance movie doesn't have handsome or charming stars to support, it won't be successful in the market.

Sherry hinted me about the ravishing ChiPao the leading actress wore in the movie. Maggie Cheung certainly looked graceful and elegant in ChiPao, especially those ChiPaos were made of specially selected fashion of cloths. Only ChiPao can mark the vulnerable, fragile yet graceful and delicate beauty of the role. And the movie needs ChiPao to mark its background, too. There were at least over 10 ChiPaos in the movie; flowery, trimmed, striped, or color-featured etc. They were truly amazing.

I can tell Sherry likes ChiPao a lot because she sometimes wears ChiPao-like dress. She is tall and slender. She looks wonderful in ChiPao. As for me, I like to appreciate others wearing ChiPao in stead of wearing it myself. It's OK for me to try once in a while, and that's it. ChiPao is hard to maintain, besides, I like to wear comfortably and enjoy different looks with different style of clothes. Anyway, this is another thought from the movie. Trini

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Trini,

Thank you for your reflection on "In the mood for Love". I love Romance movies, too. I guess everybody does. Who is not in the mood for love, regardless of gender or age?

Lydia has "Take the Lead" and Michelle has "A Good Woman". Shall we swap the films when we meet for our next clogging dance class on the 25th?

I have two war movies with me. I shall give them to you Tuesday afternoon when we meet for the clogging dance performance on Dragon Boat Festival. I’m sure you will love them, one is "In this World", the other is "Letters from Iwo Jima".

By the way, what do you think if we all put on ChiPaos for our Toastmaster Magazine reading gathering in July? That would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

In PHP Monthly May issue, I learned about Miwa Akihiro for the first time. After I heard the senior members praised his beauty portraying a woman highly, I was curious to know him.

In "Black Rose Mansion", Miwa played the mysterious lounge singer employed in a private men's club. As a dreamer of love, she got caught between the club's millionaire owner and his estranged son.

The doomed romance film is a Japanese version of "In the Mood for Love". Miwa changed many Haute couture dresses in the film.
Tamura Masakatsu, the son, looked like Tony Leung. I like the movie a lot and I saw the beauty of love interpreted by Yukio Mishima.

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...