2007/06/22

Clinking Dragon Boat Festival

Trini and I performed two clogging dances at the Sui-yuan Community Center Saturday, the 19th of June. It was a gathering of more than 250 people on Dragon Boat Festival. The clogging dance classroom was jam-packed with community members, young and old alike. On the corridor, lots of traditional delicacies, such as glutinous rice, noodles, stewed chicken, sweets, were displayed on a huge table.

Upon the request of Clogging Dance Instructor Jennie, I arrived one hour early in order to rehearse with team members. As soon as I put on the belly dance costume, I overheard an early arriver joke with Borough Chief that there would be a sexy dance show on stage. When I turned around, I was surprised to receive a friendly bow from the gentleman. I guess I looked 18 from the back and I looked like a professor in his face. No matter what, it was indeed an awesome compliment.

At 12 o'clock sharp, we were called upon to open the luncheon party. We danced "Baby One More Time" and "Eyes Like Yours" quite well, however nobody seemed to be interested in our performance. Everybody was busy eating, drinking, talking, or playing games. Fortunately I asked a young man to videotape our dance. He was probably the only person who looked at our dance from the beginning till the end. If we were a group of young and sexy chicks, we might have created better entertaining effect.

Sui-yuan (water source) Community Center is an interesting community. It is located on the 4th flood of Sui-yuan traditional market. Most residents run their business at the market, from food vendors to boutique owners. The market is across the street from National Taiwan University. It is a shopping mecca in the evening for students and office ladies.

It was the first time I performed at Sui-yuan Community on Dragon Boat Festival and it is meaningful for three reasons. First, among three major festivals in Taiwan, Dragon Boat, Moon, and New Year, I like Dragon Boat Festival the best. People get together for a big luncheon and row the dragon boat to quench of the heat in summer. Second, I have an excellent opportunity to hone my clogging dance skills and to entertain community members. Third, as a shopping queen, I can make acquaintance with shop owners at the market and I might get a special discount in the future (a wishful thinking).

Trini and I stayed for the lucky draw--the last but most exciting program on the agenda. There were many presents to give away. Everybody left the party with a full stomach and a huge bag full of prizes. I gave most of booties to Trini so that she could award her students with great grades at school. The clinking Dragon Boat Festival of year 2007 was memorable and enjoyable! Sherry

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...