2014/11/15

District 76 Fall Conference 2014

District 76 Fall Conference 2014—Saturday November 15th

It was my big day. I had a one hour workshop to give to fellow Toastmasters at District 76 this morning. I was so excited that I got up before seven, took a few photos of the beautiful sunrise of the Yoyogi park. Yes, I'm a lucky woman. I'm a hare (sunshine) woman. I want to shed light on men and women in Toastmasters who are interested in learning foreign languages like me!

I decided to have breakfast at Fuji Cafeteria on the second floor of Central Building. On my way to the Fuji, I saw many kids in Kudou uniforms from Ukraine. I had an urge to chat with them because I visited their country before. But I didn't take any action. Then I saw a group kids with their coaches from Kazakhstan at a small coffee shop selling sandwiches. I had the urge to chat with them, because I just came back from  Mongolia, but I didn't take any action, because I couldn't speak their language.

Finally I decided to have breakfast at Fuji, traditional Japanese canteen full of high school students. With less than 500 yen, I had a full set of breakfast, fish, miso soup, bread, rice, nado, nori, salad, vegetanle, eggs, coffee, you name it. I saw two kids from Kango and Morocco with their coach sitting at the table in front of me. I overheard their conversation in French. I speak French! When their coach turned around smiled at me, I mustered up my courage to join their table. After the coach left, I had a pleasant conversation with two kids in their teens. We talked about Manga, we talked about language acquisition, we talk about the beautiful autumn in Japan. It was stimulating for my morning workshop.

Before 9, I walked into Room 309 to support Toastmaster Masafumi Abe's workshop on Speeches and Rakugo. Toastmaster Abe invited three panelists to join his workshop to talk about the similarities between public speeches and rakugo.  Then I attended the first half of Marie Marie-Josee Brassard's workshop "Leave your Emotions at the door when Evaluating a Speech". The room was small and only 8 people participated the workshop, including Toastmaster Tomohide Oshima and me.

I didn't participated in Lancer Miller's workshop on Building a Championship Club, even though I paid for it. I needed to be ready to break my leg for my workshop immediately after his. I joked with Lancer that he warmed up the audience for my workshop the moment I saw him Thursday. But the truth was after a workshop by the champion of public speaking, who could the audience compare mine with? Of course the workshop of the champion. On top of that, my workshop was between 11 and 12. How could I hold the audience's attention and retention capabilities from thinking about what they could have for lunch, whom to eat it with, how much time for lunch. With all that in mind, I made up the mind to make the presentation an interactive workshop as people had the most adrenaline surge in their brain before lunch.

I decided not to use PowerPoint to distract the interaction between me and the audience, because the huge screen was in the center of the stage. Between the colorful pictures on powerpoint and the effectiveness of the workshop, I chose the latter. I was grateful to Kumagai-san for making copies of questionnaires for my workshop. He also made  30 copies of full text of the workshop to encourage participants to return answer sheets. We collected 32 returned questionnaires* in total. It's exciting to know how Toastmasters in Japan thought about foreign languages acquisition.

In the evening, I attended a standing up buffet dinner. I was assigned at a table R at the last row. I couldn't see anything on stage. I couldn't hear anything clearly. My feet in high-heeled killed me. I left the party venue early to take a hot shower at Room 616. Nobody knocked on my door to invite me to nomikai. It was another lonely evening by myself. I'm the queen in the kingdom of isolation! Let it go~

PS:
*Over the weekend of Taiwan local elections 2014, November 29th, I studied the 32 returned questionnaires. To my surprise, I found that more Toastmasters are interested in learning Spanish than Mandarin Chinese. One Toastmaster mentioned the interest of learning Hindi. A great number of Toastmasters wanted to learn German and French. That's a good news. In addition to English, Japanese, and French (Bonjour Toastmasters Club No. 01528251) speaking clubs in Japan, there are markets for German, Spanish, Mandarin speaking Toastmasters clubs in the future.

Many toastmasters shared their know-hows in acquiring foreign languages, including listening to i-pod, interpersonal communication with foreigners, shadowing TV anchors, reading out aloud good speeches, watching TV dramas, dictating, teaching foreign languages, translating and interpreting, talking alone in the shower, joining foreign language readers clubs, performing and acting on stage, traveling, writing letters to pen pals, not to mention, speaking and listening in Toastmasters.

As for joint activities between Toastmasters in Japan and Taiwan, 6 Toastmasters are interested in forming sisters clubs, 9 Toastmasters are interested in couch surfing, and 9 Toastmasters are interested in promoting Toastmasters in another country. One Toastmaster suggested the mentor relationship between Japan and Taiwan.

I feel grateful to those members who gave me written evaluations how to improve my workshop, including more pictures, easier questions, fewer questions, more interactions from the floor, punching the "P" repeatedly, better time management. I thought I was quite successful conveying my message to the audience through the engagement of audience friendly, intelligently and emotionally. I have more to offer about my specialty in the power of persuasion to recruit new Toastmasters members.

Language Acquisition in Toastmasters, Sherry Li, ACS, PRVP Grand Toastmasters Club (#1447-67) 2014-2015  for District 76 Fall Conference 2014 National Olympic Youth Center, November 15, 2014 Theme: All you need is laugh!

Standing here in front of you is a dream-come-true to me! Fellow Toastmasters of District 76 and distinguished guests, Good Morning! (Pose with a big smile! Take a bow!)

What a pleasure and privilege to be in the midst of men and women who seek to speak a foreign language in a fluid, fluent, and flowing manner.

Last month, Toastmasters celebrated the 90th anniversary Wednesday, October 22nd. On the same day, Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg had a workshop at the prestigious Tsinghua University (清華大学) in Mandarin Chinese for 30 minutes. His language skills stunned the audience.

Acquiring a foreign language is fun and rewarding. It opens our eyes to other cultures, it challenges us to explore the unknown. After acquiring a foreign language, we become more confident to meet people in foreign wonderlands. We learn new ideas to enrich our lives and others.

In this room, many Toastmasters can speak one or two foreign languages. Everyone has his or her story to tell and I'm standing here to share my story about language acquisition in Toastmasters!

People often ask me where I learn my English, I answer the question “in Toastmasters” without a shadow of doubt! How many of you feel the same way?

I thought I was good at English before I went to the Graduate School of Louisiana State University Medical Center in New Orleans in 1979. When I first walked into a big classroom full of medical students in white robes, I knew I was in trouble. Language shock, culture shock, you name it. Life was stressful. I had serious insomnia. I couldn't even afford the tiny amount of caffeine in a can of coca cola. But adversity is a means of growth. I graduated with honor!

After going back to Taiwan, I knocked on the door of Grand Toastmasters Club in 1984. Yes, time flies. I’ve been in Toastmasters for three decades. When I was EVP of Grand Toastmasters Club, I met a veteran Toastmaster, late Ray Ames, from Buffalo, New York. I learned communication and leadership skills from the role model. Ray gave me advice without reservation. He edited speeches I wrote, stood by me when I rehearsed my speeches. When I was the club president, I wrote President messages every two weeks and Ray gave many valuable suggestions. In return, my English language competency excelled.

In Toastmasters, there are people, many outstanding members, mentors, crouching tigers, hidden dragons, we can emulate! Please name two outstanding Toastmasters you want to emulate and in what way? (The first P of People 人)

Today, there are more non-native speakers of English than native speakers in Toastmasters. Many members join Toastmaster to become better speakers in English, so did I 30 years ago. China alone, there are 400 million English-language learners with the market for English-language training of $7.5 billion US dollars, not to mention India, Indonesia, Brasilia.

Toastmaster Dananjaya Hettiarachchi won 2014 champion of public speaking in Malaysia. He is from Sri Lanka. Dananjaya is not a native speaker of English. If he can be the world champion, so can we, only if someone sees something in us. And we can dream to become the world champion.

Besides English, what other languages would you like to learn? And why? Write down your dream list in Toastmasters in the next three years. CC,CL, District Champion, World Champion of public speaking.

I didn’t learn Japanese till I was in my 40s when I realized that many senior citizens in Taiwan spoke Japanese, including my parents-in-law. On top of that Japan is close. In 1998, I was invited to build the first Japanese speaking club in Taipei as a club mentor, regardless of my deficiency in Japanese language.

Learning by doing is how I acquire my Japanese language in Toastmasters. I joined Japanese speaking club meetings regularly, and I delivered prepared speeches according to Competent Communicator Manual. I acquire the Japanese language step by step. (The second P of Program 道)

In 2000, I came to Japan as an exchange Student of Ritsumeikan University. I became the Charter President of Kyoto Toastmasters Club with the support of many Japanese Toastmasters, Inatsugi Masahiko, Lublow Gibbons, Kazumi Sato, Tomohide Oshima, and Inagaki Shintaro. Kyoto Toastmasters Club gave me a new meaning in life in Toastmasters.

In April, Fall Conference Chair Toastmaster Sakai Kozue came to District 67 Spring Conference 2014 in Taipei, asked me if I would be interested in giving a workshop at D76 Fall Conference 2014 in Tokyo. I was overwhelmed and flattered, “yes, with pleasure”. Then Sakai asked, English or Japanese. I answered, “Japanese”. Ever since, I’d been cramming the Japanese language to the best of my ability.

In July, I received a confirmation email from Toastmaster Matthew Ownby that I would do a workshop in English instead of Japanese. Because a Rakugo (落語) artist had been booked to do a seminar on Humor.

Wow, what a good news! I can do a workshop in English. Both English and Japanese are not my mother tongues. But, between English and Japanese, English is friendlier for most Taiwanese. I do hope nevertheless, I could have a rain check to give a workshop in Japanese in the future, a goal for me to continue learning Japanese language diligently. What method do you use to acquire a second language?

Remember the core values of Toastmasters, “Integrity, Respect for the Individual, Service to the Member, and Dedication to excellence.” Yes, integrity, respect, service, excellence. Aristotle said, “Excellence is not an act, excellence is a habit.” Excellence is the habit that we acquire through training and habituation.

Toastmasters provides the positive environment where we can fall down and stand up in foreign language acquisition. We have chances to practice to become excellent. Practice makes perfect. (The third P of Practice 修)

Learning a foreign language takes time. It can't be done in a haste. Haste makes waste. Slow S-L-O-W is acronym for language acquisition, speak, listen, observe, and write. When we learn a foreign language, we learn it slowly. If we speak, listen, observe, and write for 60 minutes a day and we become better speakers in that foreign language. How much time do you use to study a foreign language each day?

Choose the language you love and love the language you choose. I have a passion to learn foreign languages, to chat with people from all over the world. I don’t hesitate to offer my helping hands to foreigners in Taipei. I feel excited and recharged when I apply my language skills to bridge and build people. (The fourth P of Passion 喜)

Passion is contagious. (Blow in the air!) I give my passion to you! What is your passion in life? Please stand up and follow me. (Blow in the air!) Give your passion to your neighbors. (Blow to the right and left) Give your passion to your loved ones. (Blow to the sky)

Last but not least, the purpose of our lives. What is the purpose we acquire a foreign language? What does a foreign language benefit us? Life rewards in its way. Standing here talking to you is my purpose. I want to be a motivational speaker for Toastmasters.

With the language skills, I can promote Toastmasters whenever and wherever. I visit Toastmasters clubs when I travel in foreign lands. Where there were no Toastmasters clubs, I charter a Toastmasters club! (The fifth P of Purpose功)

In summary, there are 5 Ps how I acquire foreign languages in Toastmasters, namely People 人, Program道, Practice修, Passion喜, Purpose功.

Now a short story of my childhood. You’ll understand why I deeply believe that language is the key to friendship.

Let's first have a short history lesson. Taiwan was colonized by Japan for 50 years between 1895 and 1945. The Republic of China was founded in 1911. After the second world war, Taiwan was given back to the government of Republic of China in 1945. When China, the People's Republic, became a communist country, the government of Republic of China came to Taiwan.

I was born in Chia-yi in 1955. Both of my parents moved to Taiwan from Mainland China in 1949. I grew up in a house for Japanese officials after they left Taiwan in 1945. At the elementary school, I was the only Mainlander child in my class. Being unable to speak Taiwanese dialect, I became the target of bullies. I was desperate to acquire Taiwanese.

At that time, Taiwanese dialect was forbidden at school. Students would be punished by paying a fine if they got caught. I was chosen as the model student of national language, because I was the only child who could speak Mandarin fluently. But I spoke Taiwanese all the time to win friends despite of the prohibition of Taiwanese dialect at school. Taiwanese dialect can be regarded as my mother tongue! I knew language was power when young.

Here is the demo of language varieties in China. Please listen to the differences of Mandarin, Taiwanese, and Cantonese to say “I understand, but I can't speak the language”.

Human beings are unique to use languages to communicate and to set boundaries. A new born human baby brain weighs 350 to 400 grams (a small PET bottle of water), an adult brain weighs 1300 to 1400 grams (three PET bottles). The mother tongue is embedded in baby brain where neurons form and get connected.

An acquired foreign language is different. It needs tremendous amount of time and effort to be etched in our adult brain. Use it or lose it. That's a good news for senior citizens. We have plenty of time to study a foreign language to keep our brain cells young and active.

Now let’s brainstorm what we can do to promote Japanese speaking Toastmasters club in Taiwan and Mandarin speaking Toastmasters Club in Japan. The Japanese language is dying in Taiwan. Senior citizens who speak Japanese are 80 years old. How can we provide a social and supportive environment for young Japanese speaking Toastmasters in Taiwan?

How to facilitate communication between Toastmasters in Japan and Taiwan? Please circle the one you are interested! And add your suggestions and comments if any.
1. Sisters Clubs, Bashamichi, Leadership Village, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2. Couch Surfing for members to attend District Conferences and/or Local Tours
3. Social Net Work to promote Toastmasters in countries with no or few Toastmasters clubs, such as Belarus, Mongolia

In Tokyo, a few Mandarin speaking Toastmasters are taking initiatives to charter the first Mandarin speaking Toastmasters club. It is the best time to begin a Mandarin speaking club with the revitalized education program starting in 2015. Please write down names of Toastmasters who speak Mandarin!

If you are invited to District 67 Conference, what is the topic of your workshop for Japanese speaking Toastmasters in Taiwan? I can't thank enough to many Japanese Toastmasters who help the development of Japanese speaking Toastmasters Club in Taiwan. Toastmaster Watanabe Yoshihito has come to Taiwan more than 20 times!

After serving as the Charter President of Kyoto Toastmasters club in 2001, I became a traveling Toastmaster.

Japan
Awaji Reminiscence D76 Spring Conference 2004
Home Coming 2006
On the Road Again 2010

Italy
It is so easy to be with the Milan-Easy TMC March~June 2004
Arriverderci Milan-easy Toastmasters Club April 2005

New Zealand
Down Under for 50 days - Toastmastering in New Zealand December 2006~January 2007

Mongolia
Toastmasters in Mongolia August 2004
Toastmasters in Mongolia Trilogy January~February 2010
Mongols Toastmasters October 2014

I am grateful to Dr. Ralph C. Smedley who founded the Toastmasters 90 years ago. Let's join hands to accomplish our mission to empower individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders. I welcome your feedback to make me a better motivational speaker. And I wish everybody dream come true in acquiring foreign languages in Toastmasters.

I thank Conference chair Sakai Kozue and her hardworking team and I thank you for having me here! God bless!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...