2011/12/11

Summer Shorts of Tellus Theater

What an adventure I made this evening! I finally made it to Toastmaster Bill Wan's show at Somebody Cafe' in Xi-men District. To my surprise, my brother Jimmy accepted my invitation to go along. Jimmy never attends any social functions with me. I guess Jimmy and Bill must be connected in some way. Bill was invited to Jimmy's place for dinner for a couple of times when Bill was D67 Chorus member two years ago.

The stage on the 3rd floor of Somebody Cafe' was cozy and modish. The French chanson was played in the air when Jimmy and I walked up the stairs. Bill and other actors and actresses were busy putting on make-ups and costumes. I saw Bill behind a dark curtain. I saw many familiar Toastmasters.

Summer Shorts was directed by Daniel Ingi Petursson, Head of Taipei's first and only English speaking theater company--Tellus Theater, formerly known as Thalie Theater. Daniel was trained in theater in Paris at the Ecole Jacques Lecoq and at the Ecole Philippe Gaulier. Tellus Theater is a group composed of amateur performers trained in Petursson's acting workshops, and wish to share their passion of the theater.

At the beginning of the Summer Shorts, Jimmy and I sat on a double sofa at a corner. Then I moved to the front row facing the stage, sitting next to two ladies Toastmasters from Taipei Metro and PMI Toastmasters Clubs. The small theater was full of Toastmasters atmosphere, it was friendly, it was experimental, it was impromptu, it was spontaneous. The actors on stage reached out to the audience on the floor in the middle of the show without being separated by an invisible fourth wall.

Summer shorts were a series of short and humorous skits to depict the anxiety and emotions of young people facing the ruthless competition and indifference in the stressful modern society. I liked the poem recital at the very beginning, I liked Bill's monologue of a desperate actor talking on the cellphone day and night waiting for an audition, I also liked the skit of love and hatred between Medea and Jason.

After the show, Bill asked me if I would consider joining Tellus Theater. It was a tempting invitation for me to know more about myself through acting, interacting, reacting. It was a proactive way for me to become a reader, a writer, a playwright. Maybe it's time I learned communication skills outside of the Toastmasters.

On the way home, Jimmy invited me to have snack at Jingmei Night Market. Jimmy told me he enjoyed the Summer Shorts. He wanted to invite Bill to his place for dinner on X'mas Day to know more about the expressive art therapy. I was happy for Jimmy to venture out of his comfort zone. I want to thank Bill for giving Jimmy and me an relaxing and inspiring Sunday evening!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...