2011/12/03

"Kalinka" (Russian: Калинка)

Be Russia the biggest country in the world (Russia: 17,075,200 km2; Canada: 9,984,670 km2; United States: 9,631,418 km2; China: 9,596,960 km2; Brazil: 8,511,965 km2), I've never beeen there. I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to visit Russia or to study the Russian language in my life.

The first time I thought of learning the Russian language, it was when I accompanied Government officials to deliver the medical aids (worth of US$ 15,000,000) on a charter China Airline Cargo to Kiev when I was the Secretary General of Taiwan Pharmaceutical Industry Association in April 1992. In year 2004 and year 2010, when I visited Mongolia as a Toastmaster (I brought along the banner of Grand Toastmasters Club), I thought about learning the Cyrillic script of the Mongolian and Russian language. When President Gina Cheng of Grand Toastmasters Club decided to perform a group Russian dance at Division H X'mas Party, I thought about learning the Russian language for the third time.

President Gina Cheng went to Russia in June with a tour group managed by Roy. After her trip back to Taipei, Gina shouldered her responsility as the club president and recruited Roy as a new member. Being an experienced tour guide to Russia and Europe, Roy knows a lot about Russia. He collects a couple of Russian dancers costumes. Upon his suggestion, Grand came up the idea to perform a group Russian Dance at Division H X'mas Party. I took charge to choreograph a simple and joyful group Russian dance Kalinka for Granders.

President Gina invited Grand's Russian dancers to her cozy home for a potluck hotpot gathering this afternoon. I was the first one to arrive to see a full table of sewing materials Gina lay on the table to work on the Russian dance costumes. While waiting for other dancers to show up, we discussed about the preparation for the coming first meeting of Grand Toastmasters Club at the new meeting venue in December.

The potluck hotpot was rich and yummy! Gina prepared a hotpot of lamb chops and frozen bean curds. I brought along a well-cooked pork stomach and vegetables. Sharon brought fish and meat balls. May brought a box of Mister Donut. Brian brought a cake. After a sumptous lunch, we brainstormed the Russian dance steps together for two hours at Gina's playroom in her building. It felt good to sweat a lot imagining ourselves running around on the playground covered with heavy snow in Moscow! Erin joined us after her guitar class at 5PM.

Part I (slow-fast-slow-fast-slow)
Male Dancers 2 x 8 beats
Female Dancers 2 x 8 beats
Couple Dance holding arms 2 x 8 beats
Two circles (Male dancers inner circle, Female Dancers outer circle) 2 x 8 beats
Couple Dance holding hands 4 x 8 beats
Two lines (Male dancers front line facing back, Female Dancers back line facing the audience) 4 x 8 beats
Two Groups of four Holding Hands 2 x 8 beats
Group Circling 4 x 8 beats
Tunneling 4 x 8 beats
Pose 1 x 8 beats

Part II (slow-fast-fast-fast-fast)
Facing the audience 1 x 8 beats
Line Crossing 2 x 8 beats
Male Dancers Cross legs jumps 4 x 8 beats
Male Dancers Holding Up Female Dancers 2 x 8 beats
Ending 4 x 8 beats

If possible, all dancers can sing along the pretty song Kalinka in two parts in Russian.
Little snowberry, snowberry, snowberry of mine!
Little raspberry in the garden, my little raspberry!

Ah, under the pine, the green one,
Lay me down to sleep,
Ah, rock-a-baby,
Lay me down to sleep.

Little snowberry, snowberry, snowberry of mine!
Little raspberry in the garden, my little raspberry!

Ah, little pine, little green one,
Don't rustle above me,
Ah, rock-a-baby,
Don't rustle above me.

Little snowberry, snowberry, snowberry of mine!
Little raspberry in the garden, my little raspberry!

Ah, you beauty, pretty maiden,
Take a fancy to me,
Ah, rock-a-baby,
Take a fancy to me.

Little snowberry, snowberry, snowberry of mine!
Little raspberry in the garden, my little raspberry!

PS: I must thank President Gina for her enthusiasm to bring up a mission impossible--the performance of Grand Russian Dance at Division H X'mas Party! After spending hours and hours choreographing Kalinka Dance, I realize that I don't have to go to Russia to know Russia. In the meantime, I can't wait to see Russia with my own eyes and to dance Kalinka with a bunch of Russian kids on the playground covered with snow in Moscow!

2 comments:

sweet gina said...

I am really touched by your enthusiasm. While i spend lots of time in making costume, you have spent much more time in studying Russian, collecting any information about Kalinka, dance and even song.
I am thinking, we might perform this Kalinka outside of Grand wherever necessary. It must be lots of fun.
Hope Granders may have lots of fun and become warmer from the process of practicing dancing.

Thank you Sherry. It is YOU to make it happen.
Gina

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Hi Gina,

How about Grand Toastmasters Club performs Russian Dance at the Fu-te Nursing Home Saturday afternoon, December 17th?

Sherry

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...