2011/10/22

Divison H Humorous Speech & Evalaution Contests

I was happy, I placed at both Division H Humorous Speech and Evalation Contests Saturday afternoon, October 22nd! I was the first runner-up of evaluation contest and the second runner-up of the humorous speech contest.

A joy shared is a joy doubled. I am grateful to my Toastmasters family members behind me to give me support and encouragement! They are the cheerleader group from Grand Toastmasters Club, President Gina Cheng, Area H1 Governor Erin Ke, and her husband Joel Wright, and two new members Brian Wu and May Huang.

Before the contest, President Gina Cheng arranged a mornig tour to visit the Evergreen Maritime Museum, we followed a veteran tour guide who had worked for the Evergreen as a captain for more than three decades. He told us many stories about life at sea with passion and enthusiasm. He instilled in me a good dose of excitments about public speaking to convey the messages and believes in life at SEA. Upon our request, the knowledgeable and friendly tour guide told a humorous story about the light house. Gina, Erin, May and I burst into a big laughter.

Coincidentally, there is an article "survival at sea" by paul Sterman in Toastmaster Magazine October issue, about the police chief Charles Gibson drew strength from self-talk after fishing boat sank. While he was in a bone-chilling situation, the police chief thought at one point: Boy, this is going to make a great Toastmasters speech.

After the buffet lunch at the Cafe' Hatsu at the Everygreen Maritime Museum, I was ready to take the stage at the Division H humorous speech and evaluation contests.

Being a little nervous, I went to my toilet before my turn. But I couldn't find my way back. I heard people calling my name at far, and I tried to answer them in the labyrinth of the basement. Fortunately, I made it in time and I took the advantage of my being lost in my speech of my aging experience. I won a full house of laughter.

After the contest, Gina, Erin, Joel, May and I had a cheerful and joyful gathering at the Subway Cafe' for a couple of hours to discuss about the coming Division H Christmas Party in December. Wow, year 2011 is about to come to an end. I must rush to realize the 2011 new year resolutions as soon as possible.

One Day in My Life
Sherry Li, ATM-B
First Runner-up of Humorous Speech Contest
Division H, District 67

I just turned 56, Yes, I know I look younger. But, aging .....

Aging is irreversible, inevitable, and obvious, gray hair, reading glasses, and dementia. I forgot what I did yesterday, I forgot what I did one hour ago. At home, I search for reading glasses for hours only to find them on my forehead. At work, I write things down on a piece of paper, but I forgot where I put the paper. I even forgot I am married when I am with handsome men.

Last Monday I woke up early. I was excited about the outing with four lady friends to visit the skywalk in Taoyuan. We agreed to meet at Taipei Train Station at 8, be there or be square. Being an early bird, I got into my car and drove happily!

When I turned right at the red light, I was caught by two policemen ambushed behind a tree!

"Driver's license, please!"
"Do I have to get a ticket? Please I just got fired and I'm late for my job interview!"

"Haven't you seen the red light?"
"I saw the red light, but I didn't see you!"
"In toastmasters, when we see the red light, we have thirty seconds leeway.」

"Okay, Obasan, we will let you go this time, but please drive carefully and stop at any red light!"

"Yes, young man, thank you." Do I look old? I must have forgotten to put on the make-up!

When I passed the Mos Burger, I stopped for a cup of coffee. While I waited for my coffee, I went to the lady's room to put on the make up.

After the morning coffee, I felt recharged. I walked to my car.

"Oh my god, where is my car key? Not in my hand bag, maybe I left it in the lady's room," I rushed back to the lady's room of the Mos Burger, I couldn't find my key.

"Maybe I left the key in my car," I rushed back to the parking lot, nope, not in my car, either.

"Did I throw it away with my coffee cup at the Mos Burger?" I dig the entire trash bag, I found my key.

What, seven thirty! I must rush, I ran the yellow lights, ran the red lights, ran the green lights, arrived at Taipei Train Station at 8. There was nobody? How come? Did I mess up the gathering place? Where could it be? I waited, I waited, I waited. It was 8:15, nobody showed up?

I called Mary.

"Hello, Mary, are you still at home? Aren't we supposed to go to the skywalk today?"
"Sherry, is that you (yawning)? But we have the outing tomorrow. Today is Monday!"

What? What happened to me? But think twice, isn't it wonderful to gain an extra day in life? By the time I got home, it was 9. I checked emails. There was one from Mary, saying that I might have AAADD--Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

My husband was concerned about my losing attention of him. He gave me a big photo of him to put in my wallet. He urged me to see a doctor. After I told the doctor about my symptom. I can't remember where I put my car key. I forgot if I answered a letter. I forgot why I was here and there. The doctor gave me a big smile and told me to pay him in advance.

Life is a journey. Everyday we learn new tricks. Everyday we face challenges. I'm 56 with gray hair, poor eyesight, hard hearing and AAADD. I cherish everyday to be inspired and to inspire people, and to bring laugher to people around me! Contest Chair

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...