2008/10/15

I Have a Dream

In front of me, I set a goal. I shall produce the third musical with toastmasters in 2009.

Prelude
I first had the idea to produce a musical, it could trace back to more than a decade ago. After Past Council Governor Harry Fong (Lydia's better half) saw the entire The King and I at District 75 Spring Convention in Cebu, he repeatedly mentioned about the impressive collective efforts of toastmasters to sing and act together on stage. I thought if Filipinos Toastmasters could do it, so can Taiwanese toastmasters.

The First Musical
Immediately after I returned from Hokkaido last November, I brought up the idea to produce "Hairspray" with golden ladies (I saw the movie on the plane from Chitose to Taoyuan), I had their support with one consent on the spot. Without much ado, we started rehearsing songs and dances immediately. Saturday afternoon, December 23rd, five golden ladies and a golden friend performed the first Musical "Hairspray" at Division C X'mas Party for ten minutes at Ming-yiu Citizen Hall, Taipei. The debut musical was a big success!

The Second Musical
The second musical was another breakthrough. It was performed bilingually (English and Japanese) Saturday evening, October 11th. The scale of Mamma Mia Musical was bigger and longer (it involved 11 dancers and singers and lasted for 15 minutes and 23 seconds), we achieved more imposing and satisfactory effect beyond our imagination. The valuable experiences we gained from Hairspray were of great help for me to foresee the entertaining and amusing outcome. I incorporated 27 powerpoint slides (more than 50 photo clips from Mamma Mia 2008) in Japanese to explain the love story to Japanese toastmasters (Mamma Mia will be showing in Japan from the end of January 2009). It was another big success!

The Third Musical
What I have in mind now is a musical of 20 people for 25 minutes for golden ladies' third musical. I couldn't forget that Trini wrote an article about It Serves Every Purpose to Name That Song in April 2007. I want to make Trini's dream come true, if not more colorful and majestic. If Trini and I can work together to write a love story based upon a dozen popular Mandarin, Taiwanese, and English songs, we surely have something to be proud of ourselves. If British playwright Catherine Johnson can make such a successful stage musical Mamma Mia based upon the hit songs of ABBA in the second half of the 70's. We should be no second, if there is a will.

People often ask me what it is like to be a full-time homemaker. My answer is busy, very busy, extremely busy, dreaming~~~

I have a Dream a Song to Sing
To help me Cope with Anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail

1 comment:

Exploring Delights and Wonders in Life said...

Dear Sherry,

I have many dreams, yet only realized very few of them. Time and distractions were my excuses.
Not like me, you are both a dreamer and a doer.

I certainly love your idea.
Let's see if you can gear up my energy and enthusiasm to make the musical come true.

Trini

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...