2008/10/05

Mamma Mia 2008

Late Friday evening, August 22nd, I received a phone call from Eric Chou, Immediate Past Area H1 Governor, "Sherry, I saw you in Mamma Mia. The role of Tanya was tailor-made for you. You must see this beautiful movie and enjoy a good vacation on Greek Islands in a cozy theater". Eric Chou, a member of Grand Toastmasters Club, works for a big Chain Hotel's Taipei Office, knows everything about show business. Of course, he wouldn't miss Mamma Mia, the first night in the movie theaters in Taiwan.

A week later, at lunch with Sophia Chen, a young make-up artist toastmaster of Grand, Sophia told me how much she loved Mamma Mia and she was impressed by the resemblance between Tanya and me. Well, I was obliged to see myself in other people's eyes. So, I saw Mamma Mia at once.

And I decided to produce a Taiwanese version. Firstly I needed to find Donna, Tanya and Rosie among golden ladies. I was extremely happy when Trini told me she could play Donna. She loved ABBA and she could memorize most of the lyrics of their hit songs. Indeed, golden ladies all grew up with ABBA when we were in college. Every golden lady can hum Dancing Queen, I Have A Dream, not to mention Mamma Mia. But, it turned out to be a bottleneck to find Rosie, as most golden ladies were occupied with family chores and/or office paperworks. I have to seek helping hands among other friends. Believe it or not, it is still pending at the last hour!

The search of young talents went unbelievable smoothly. I found Sophie, Ali, Lisa and Sky at Pacific and Peace Toastmasters clubs immediately as soon as I announced my intention. The young members are as passionate and enthusiastic in acting and singing as I am, if not more. About three possible dads of Sophie, it took me only one email to get Sam, Harry and Bill in the Musical, even Sam lives in Nagoya and Harry lives in Tokyo. Of course, I won't forget to find two lovely beach boys for Tanya. What a super cast!

Many thanks go to Sophie by Reifon Tong, Incumbent President of Pacific TMC; Ali by Yu-chi Hung, EVP of Peace TMC: Lisa by Daphne Wang of Peace TMC; Sky by Hsin-yi Wu of Pacific TMC; Donna by Trini Ding of China TMC; Sam by Misao Inuzuka, Incumbent President of Nagoya TMC; Harry by Kiminari Azuma of Yamato Bilingual TMC; Bill by William Lee, Incumbent Area C2 Governor; Beach Boy X by Eric Chou of Grand TMC; and Beach Boy Y by Shi-jun Tu of Pacific TMC.

If it feels blissful to be in love, I bet it also feels blissful to see people in love. In the great Musical of Mamma Mia, I am grateful that I could not only bring toastmasters together to sing and dance on stage, but I also arrange many Toastmasters friends to be in love. What an achievement! If you're free Saturday evening, October 11th, please come see Mamma Mia by Golden Ladies Toastmasters and Friends at ChinaTrust Landmark Hotel in Taoyuan. See ya~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry to miss this interesting-sounding musical to be performed in the anniversary event. As I know of some of the cast in person, I can imagine what the performance would be like! It is also intriguing to see the casting constituted of Taiwanese and Japanese members. Would it be possible for you to upload the play to You Tube or some other site on the web? I would like to see it badly!

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

I plan to produce a VCD after the performance at the Joint Anniversary dinner party of Success and Kumamoto Toastmasters Clubs at ChinaTrust Lankmark Hotel in Taoyuan this coming Saturday evening, October 11th.

The episode of the musical lasts for more than 15 minutes longer than YouTube's 10 minutes maximum. I shall send you a copy of VCD when it is ready!

I am excited to get on stage to sing and dance with Toastmasters from D67 & D76. Trini and I are still sewing our fancy dancing queeen costumes!

Anonymous said...

It's really kind of you! I am looking forward to seeing it on the VCD. I wonder if it includes my favourite number "Super Trouper" ---.

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...