2008/05/21

Day 5--The Touching Moment

From Kumamoto to Ibusuki to Kagoshima in the morning, to Hakata in the evening, back to Kumamoto at midnight, I made a round trip from the north to the south of Kyushu Tuesday, the 20th of May. It was record breaking. It was fulfilling.

Satsuma
My first Japanese friend is from Satsuma. I made acquaintance with him when he was a GMP instructor for Taiwan-Japan GMP (good manufacturing practice) seminar in Taipei 25 years ago. He talked a lot about Kagoshima and he was proud of his birthplace--the birth place of Meiji Restoration. Tuesday morning, when Kyushu shinkansen passed tunnels of tunnels with the fastest speed like the swallow flying in the air, I saw Kagoshima at last with my own eyes.

Kyushu Shinkansen--Tsubame
Kyushu Shinkansen began operation in March 2004 between ShinYasshiro and Kagoshima Central Station. We took the Tsubame relay from Kumamoto to Shinyasshio and changed to Tsubame at the same platform in less than two minutes. It was the first time I stepped on a relay train, I was impressed. And I look forward to taking Shinkansen between Hakata and Kagoshima Central in Spring 2011.

Hibiscus--Flower of Ibusuki City
We changed to the local train to Ibusuki at Kagoshima Central Station, I was amazed by the changing of the plants, flowers, and weather during the one and a half hours train ride. As we approached south, it was getting warmer and warmer, we were getting closer and closer to Taiwan. The tropical flowers were in full blossom everywhere. Even the rapid train between Ibusuki and Kagoshima is named Nanohana. "It's home", was my first impression about Ibusuki. The red hibiscus were wearing big smiles to welcome us to the famous hot spring sand bath in Ibusuki.

Hot Spring Sand Bath at Suraku Bath Center
When the first shovel of sand dropped on me, I saw my future, alone, under the earth. Family and friends watched me from above and wished me the best to the heaven. With more shovels, I felt the weight and heat of the sand. I was quite excited that I was about to explore a new dimension of sensation in my life. My heart beat faster, I felt the pulse on my wrists, on my tummy, and on my ankles. The noon light passed through the bamboo weaved roof, I felt my belly shrinking, the fat deposit started dissolving. I started counting from 1 to 100. I've come all the way, I wanted to get the most of the ultimate endeavor. When ten minutes was up, I was relieved. I could regain my freedome in the air, I could wave my hands, I could walk my feet.

An Hour Taxi Tour in Kagoshima
We took the rapid train at Ibusuki at 12:35, arrived at Kagoshima Central Station at 1:30. With less than two hours at disposable, we hopped on a taxi to see the Sakurajima from Togo Heihachiro cemetery. We were very lucky to have a super friendly taxi driver who explained in detailed about the history of Kagoshima with his satsuma accent. He took us to see the famous statue of Saigo Takamori in military uniform in Kagoshima's Central Park before we headed for the Kagoshima Central Station.

Toastmaster Rio Imamura, DTM
No one would object if I shall say Toastmaster Rio Imamura is the best English writer in District 76. His writing in English is more than impeccable, even no second to a native writer. He must have put a lot of efforts when young, in addition to his in-born talents. I knew Rio when I served as the Charter President of Kyoto Toastmasters Club in 2001. He was District 76 Lieutenant Governor Education and Training at that time. I was deeply inspired by his knowledge and enthusiasm about Toastmasters. Throughout the years, we have been communicating with each other via emails. I've learned a lot from him. He is my role model.

When President Fujino greeted James and me at Akasaka Subway Station at 5:30PM, I was thrilled to see Rio and Toastmaster Masaki Oshiumi from Kitakyushu Toastmasters Club. I was extremly happy I could have a great photo taken with Rio in front of the club meeting building. Don't you agree that the street seemed to be decorated for Rio and me on purpose?

Contest Judges Training Workshop
Jorie Wu, DTM, D67 Governor 2000-2001 is famous for her judges training workshop. I joined hers once in Taipei many years ago. I was happy that I had the opportunity to work with five Japanese toastmasters at Fukuoka Toastmasters Club's special meeting Tuesday evening, the 20th. We were a group of six, Hiroshi Nishiyama, Noriko Tsutsui, Junko Mukai, Nonaka Seiji and Kazuko Matsumoto. We had a heated discussion for 15 minutes in our group. Toastmaster Nishiyama didn't say a word. When our group was called upon to give our conclusion, Nishiyama san stood up and spoke up. He impressed us with his wits, gave the right answer which we missed during our lengthy discussion, won a big round of applause from the house. Toastmaster Nishiyama, thank you for your decisive answer and we are proud of you!

The Touching Moment
No matter how rich our family could be, no matter how many friends we could have, we often receive help from total strangers when we are desperate in a place of no where, like Tenjin labyrinth in Fukuoka. After toasting to fellow toastmasters at the second party in an Izakaya for fifteen minutes, Hiromi walked me to Tenji subway station. Without any prior knowledge of how complex Tenji was, I told Hiromi I could find my way to the entrance, but I failed. As time passed, I became restless. Haste makes waste. I kept heading for the wrong directions. The lady whom I asked for guidance followed me all the way till I made it. I couldn't thank her enough for being around even I didn't know her name. I was lucky I put on the red dots dress that evening. The subway conductor saw me stepping down from the stairs and waited for me for 10 seconds. I got on the train back to Kumamoto on time.

Ibusuki Burning Mark
I didn't know what happened to me till I had a bath at the Matsutsuru Hotel after I returned to Kumamoto. "Ouch, it hurts", I yelled in the bathroom. Emily rushed to me and asked if I was okay. I asked her to take a look what happened at my back. She looked at me and told me I had a burning mark. How nice it is to leave a memorable scar on me after the sand bath at Ibusuki!
Precautions: Please put on an extra underwear to avoid the burning of the sensitive hips in the hot spring sand bath for a long time.

Slumber Party at Midnight
I was full charged from Fukuoka Toastmasters Club. After a hot bath, I convinced all girls to have a midnight slumber party for our last night in Kumamoto. Being sleepy and exhausted, they posed well for my camera. We practised kungfu fighting, triple somersault like school girls on an overnight trip far from home. We didn't hit the sack till we were collapsed. Please have a look at photos of Day 5 in Ibusuki, Kagoshima, and Fukuoka.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...