2008/05/16

Day 1—Why the Wide Island—Hiroshima?

Being born ten years after the Second World War was ended, I didn't know what it was like during the war. I only learn about the World War II from the history book. Japanese gave in after the US threw two atomic bombs in the south of Japan, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But why the Wide Island (Hiroshima) the first and the Long Cape (Nagasaki) the second three days later in August 1945?

My curiosity was aroused after my first visit to Hiroshima last October. I began reading books on the Second World War. Traveling prompts me to read in width and in depth. Fortunately there are tons of books on this subject and I become interested in knowing more about Hiroshima and Kyushu Island—the arsenal of Japanese Military forces in the early 20th century.

Fantastic Fukuoka
I didn't know that Toastmaster Kiminari Azuma's mother would be waiting for us at the arrival gate of Fukuoka International Airport. She told me she was not sure she could recognize us at the first, but she thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to come visit the Fukuoka international airport for herself for the first time. She is a woman I admire a lot, a woman with positive attitude. With her around with us, we felt extremely easy not having to find our own way to Hakata station by ourselves. After taking care our JR passes, we got on Hikari 464 at Hakata at 1:39PM and arrived in Hiroshima at 2:49PM.

Toastmasters in Hiroshima
When we got off the shinkansen at Hiroshima JR station, we met Toastmaster Rio Imamura of KitaKyushu Toastmasters Club and his wife Tamiko. What a coincidence that we were on the same train. I am sure many toastmasters from all over Japan are coming to D76 Spring Conference 2008 in Hiroshima today and tomorrow. Many toastmasers will pay homage to the victims of the Little Boy at Atomic Bomb Dome (Gembaku Domu in Japanese) in Hiroshima. Many toastmasters will reflect upon the cruelty of wars, the hope of peace, and the spirit of humanity.

Gas Manufacturing Plant on Okunoshima
In stead of going to the sacred Miyajima with my Taiwanese toastmastes friends, I changed to Kodama 650 and arrived at Mihara at 3:38PM. I changed a local train from Mihara to Tadanoumi. The scenery along Seto Inland Sea was captivating. I was happy that I made it to Okunoshima to visit the gas manufacturing plant this year.

I had no idea about Okunoshima when I came to Hiroshima for the first time last October. After my trip in Japan, I came across "Wages of Guilt" by Ian Buruma in Taipei City Library early this year. It was an interesting book about Japanese and Germans before and after the Second World War, and the racism from Japanese perspective toward Americans. The story about Okunoshima near Hiroshima caught a lot of my attention, because I am a pharmacist in profession and I am interested in chemicals by nature.

I didn't think I would have set my foot on Okunoshima. I was lucky to get on the local train and change to the ferry back and forth smoothly. I saw the ruins of the gas manufacturing plant and I played with the rabbits on the island. Even though I missed the Poison Gas Museum (closed at 4:30PM), I was not regretful. I returned to Hiroshima JR Station at 19:09PM in time for my first dinner with Taiwan Toastmasters in Hiroshima.

Okonomiyaki--Hiroshima fu
Taiwanese like Okonomiyaki (vegetable and meat pancake). At the major night markets, we can enjoy the delicious Oknonomiyaki. It is Okonomiyaki Osaka fu. After my first bite of Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima last year for the first time, I just couldn't forget its mouth watering taste. In stead of mixing the flour, vegetable and meat together, Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima is prepared by adding ingredients one after another. The customer can choose noodles or udon for the filling.

The Okonomiyaki Reichan on the second floor of Hiroshima Station Food Court was packed with customers Friday evening. While we were waiting outside next to a gentleman, he began chatting with us. He told us that he used to work for Taiwan High Speed Rail for two years in Tainan. We were amazed by his pronunciation in Taiwanese, "Faster, Faster". I guess while he was in Taiwan, he must have heard of the order words day in and day out. We thanked him for constructing a wonderful and fast rail for us between Taipei and Kaohsiung when he said goodbye to us and wished us a pleasant trip in Japan. Have a look at photos of Day 1 in Fukuoka, Hiroshima and Okunoshima.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...