2007/12/24

Toastmasters and me!

I sat at the movie theatre by myself the following night after golden ladies decided to present HAIRSPRAY at Division C X'mas Party. I was excited because I love musicals. When the light was off, the movie was on, my body started moving with the music from the first minute to the end. I bought the CD right after I saw the movie. I was going to play Tracy Turnblad, the fat and short girl who dreamed to be a dancer on TV. I looked at myself in the mirror.., I am a slender.. Will I make it? Maybe a TRACY LOSING two thirds of her WEIGHT after a harsh diet regimen.

It took me one week to get familiar with the music and another week to memorize the lyrics. This is much more than what I've expected to learn a new song. Being a career woman, I work overtime most of the time. On top of that, I need to look after my wheelchair-ridden mother. Needless to say, there are house chores at home. With little spare time left, I choreograph the dance steps on the subway and during lunch hours. When I think of good steps in bed, I will jump to dance. I didn't want to disturb my family, so I use my imagination and creativity to dance on my mind most of the time.

It was frustrating in the first couple of weeks. I forgot the lyrics while I danced. I forgot the dance steps while I sang. When the first rehearsal arrived Monday evening, the 17th, I was totally in a black out and a failure. What an embarrassment I had. I was disappointed and upset about myself. I didn't want to fail my partners. The Christmas party is around the corner. We don't have time for extra rehearsals. What am I supposed to do?

The dress rehearsal was scheduled Wednesday night, the 19th, at Lydia's home. I must be prepared for this one and only chance. In two days, I tried my best to convert myself into a different person, a cheerful and fun loving Tracy in front of golden ladies, and I made it. I received a round of applause from my partners. I felt more assured and uplifted to open the Hairspray to impress my toastmasters fellows.

When the stage director announced, "Three, Two, One", I took to the floor, I became Tracy Turnblad. I heard the beat, that rhythm of party hall. I got my hairspray, I was actually dancing on stage. I know every step. I remember every word. I see the party lights shining ahead. Followed me, all golden ladies exerted their best efforts to put on the most exciting and entertaining Hairspray musical to the audience.

I found TOASTMASTERS SPIRITS engraved into our bodies, each of us learned COMMUNICATION by being SUPPORTIVE and COOPERATIVE. We LEARN TOGETHER & GROW TOGETHER. We grabbed the chance that Trini arranged for us and shaped ourselves. What a wonderful environment we have in Toastmasters. The Christmas 2007 is another colorful page and sweet memory to me and all GOLDEN LADIES. By Irene Chen

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...