2008/08/15

Health Check-up

I thought I must be a goddess or something. It seems that I need not any intake to sustain my life. I consume a tiny amount of food, walk a lot, but I don't lose weight. After Glendy gave me the data sheet of my physiological index, I realized I was not an immortal after all. I had a low Basal Metabolic Rate(BMR) 1,246 Kcal, but it still falls within the average range (1,200-1,500 Kcal) for women.

"Hey, Sherry, your biological age is 52", Glendy congratulated me. "Many office ladies in their thirties have a biological age of 50", Glendy explained. "Wow, I'm one year younger than my actual age, hum", I thought, "Isn't that something remarkable to make me feel proud about myself after all these efforts"?

Glendy called me Wednesday morning, the 13th, asked me for a brunch Thursday morning. Frankly speaking, I didn't know who she was from her voice, but I accepted her invitation just the same. Glendy Yu is from Legacy Toastmasters Club. I met her for the first time at Toastmaster David Chen's funeral two weeks ago.

Glendy was already waiting at a far end corner by the wall when I walked into Ikari Cafe'10 minutes before our brunch rendezvous. I didn't know the purpose of our gathering, so we just talked anything. Glendy told me about her education and experience in Australia for eight years. She went to college in Melbourne and worked in a hotel there before she decided to come back to Taipei to develop her career. At first, she continued her hotel business for a few years and then she found her future in direct marketing business.

Glendy knew well that I collected fancy hats. So we spent quite some time talking about one common topic, the Melbourne Cup. How Aussies dress themselves up to the best of their abilities to condescend their counterparts in every possible way at the biggest event in Australian horse racing. For those who can't afford the tickets and/or fancy outfits stay home in front of TV or gather at a local bar to bet on the national holiday.

After 12 noon, when Glendy took a laptop from her black suitcase, I thought, "Hum, Finally we got down to the business". Oops! It was a weight scale when I saw it for the second time. I was insturcted by Glendy to stand on the scale for a couple of minutes, and Voila, Glendy passed me the physiological index of mine, simple as that, in a cafe'.

Honestly I had been quite contented with my height (168 centimeters) and weight (58 kilograms without clothes on) before. I took a bow when people complimented my supermodel figure. I knew my tommy was not flat, so what, with a deep breath, I could get by. But, I was in a totoal shock when I saw the number of my body fat. It was way above obesity. Then Glendy overwhelmed me with millions of health advices for my consideration to stay slim. I could hear nothing!

I don't hate fat. Fat is not at all a bad thing on the condition that it is deposited at the right position. From the moment I received the data sheet from Glendy, there went my dreaming of being a Goddess! I'm a 53 (or 52) mortal in a secular world, period. And I felt like a disproportioned walking fatty meatball when I left Ikari. I didn't order lunch to soothe me. I still have a long way to go to lift my fat up!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...