2013/01/31

I’m a Thousand Winds

Please don't stand at my grave and weep, for I am not there, I do not sleep
I am the sunlight on the ripened grain, I am the gentle autumn rain
I am the swift rush of birds in flight, I am the stars that shine at night
I am a thousand winds,  I am a thousand winds that blow

According to Article 1138, Civil Law, a budget of NT$ 1,110,000 for a funeral is tax free in Taiwan. It's a big sum for ordinary people, but it can actually cost much more if a comprehensive Chinese style funeral takes place, countless ceremonies to be prepared, lengthy prayers to be said, tons of joss papers to be burned, bands and professional mourners to be hired, not to mention food and drinks for visitors. The mourning period can last from 49 to 100 days with designated ceremonies in-between.

At Golden Ladies Toastmasters movie and dinner gatherings in January featuring the movie theme of Life and Death, we saw funerals of different nationalities and cultures, a Jewish funeral in "Nora's Will", a Japanese funeral in "To Live", an English funeral in "Death at a Funeral", an American funeral in "The Bucket List", a Taiwanese funeral in "Seven Days in Heaven" and a Chinese funeral in "If You are the One" Part II.

A funeral is comforting for family and friends to get together to mourn the deceased collectively. For Chinese, it is the obligation to observe filial piety and to devote to ancestors. Family members must consult the Chinese Almanac to determine the best date to hold the Chinese funeral ceremony. In Chinese thinking, if the dead person is well buried, the offspring will be blessed with good fortune in return. Some people search for dragon pits to bury the dead in order to have a king or a zillionair among their children and grandchildren to be.

The job of coordinating and preparing the Chinese funerals of elders falls on children or younger family members. Fortunately and unfortunately, I don't have any children. I don't have to worry about my funeral and the following blessing upon my children and grandchildren. Without a live funeral, a space funeral, or any possible environmental friendly funeral, I'd like to contain my funeral budget to ZERO by donating my body to medical school students for gross anatomy.

After I die, I become a thousand winds. I am in no existence. I shall always be grateful to the body I leave behind for supporting my life journey in the world. If there is a wish I could make, I'd like to leave my body intact for people to study, to examine, and to investigate. So, help me God, I take care of my body when I'm in the secular world.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...