2011/03/26

Division H Speech Contest

Ask me why I stay in Toastmasters for more than two decades! Ask me why I join the speech contests year after year! I can't tell if it is a habit or an addiction! It's like drinking a glass of mixed emotions, a little adrenaline rush, a little excitement, a little reflection, a little narcissistic, a little achievement. I am loving it, standing tall, drinking to myself, TOASTing to the Toastmasters!

I was in front of the mirror trying out several outfits when I received the phone call from Area H1 Governor Carrie Chiang at 10:15. Carrie was worried that I forgot about the Division H speech contest this morning. I told Carrie that I would make it in time for the table topics contest and I continued to select the outfit of the day from the wardrobe.

When I arrived at MSD Taipei office, I saw President of Formosa Toastmasters Club displaying the desserts for the coffee break. What an enjoyable scene it was on a weekend morning to see the Toastmasters officier working with delight & joy behind the stage for the contest participants!

The lucky draw was in my favor on this rainy and chilly Saturday morning. I was No. 1 to answer the tabletopics, followed by five contestants. The topic was, "among many stages you have been through till now, which stage you enjoyed the most?" Unlike the three young winners who chose now for the answer, I talked about my struggling stage the first half year of my graduate school in the US in 1979. I talked about the insomnia, the culture shock, the competition, on a lonely road abroad.

It was a sweet bitterness story of mine. I didn't win any laughter from the audience. I didn't win the hearts of the judges. But I found it a redemption for me, to reflect upon the hardship of a young woman in an unknown world of future. I am grateful that I could share with the audience about the milestone of my adulthood. It was healing for me to look at it as the most enjoyable time which changed my life ever after.

The short lunch break at the Burger King was a happy gathering with many toastmasters. Pamela came back from Shanghai for Spring break. Caroline Kiang and I discussed how to recruit female vocals to join the opening singing of D67 Spring Conference Party 2011.

When the happy Toastmasters returned to MSD for Division G speech contest in the afternoon, I remained at the Burger King to cram my German language. I hereby claim that this is the best stage of my life. I'm learning a new foreign language and I shall apply the communication and leadership skills with more than 60 Regensburger singers from Germany in a month.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...