2010/04/19

D67 International Speech Contest 2010

If the Toastmasters is not a family, what is? Even I didn’t place at D67 International Speech Contest 2010 Sunday afternoon, April 18th, I felt more attached to Grand Toastmasters Club, I felt the bond between me and the members of District 67 and District 76.

It’s been more than a decade since I last joined the International Speech Contest. As a veteran Toastmaster, I consider it more exciting me to see young people grow and develop on stage in Toastmasters, in stead of me taking the stage, playing the old trick.

Year 2010 is special. I just came back from Mongolia to help the descendants of Chenghiskhan charter the first Toastmasters Club in Mongolia. Grand will be celebrating her 35th anniversary in July. If I don’t speak up to let people know about Toastmasters in Mongolia and Grand, when?

I was the first running-up at Grand’s in-house speech contest. I was the first runner-up at Area H1 in-house speech contest. I claimed the trophy at Division H speech contest. After I became the contestant for Division H, I received a lot of suggestions from many toastmasters. Even at the last minute of the International Speech Contest, I was recommended to use another better word in my speech. I experienced the Toastmasters spirit of "helping people succeed". I was amazed and moved by the toastmasters fellowship!

For the past two weeks, everything on my mind was about "Toastmasters in Mongolia". I shopped for the costume, hat, shoes, I had my hair permed, dyed. Sunday at noon, I sat at Mentor beauty parlor to have my hair set. At Room 543 of Shinkanshen Garden Hotel, I put on the false eyelashes, I wore the silver jewelry set Mongolian friends gave me at the farewell party. When my name was called upon, I was ready to break my leg to promote Toastmasters in Mongolia, to promote Grand Toastmasters Club!

At the speech contest, I did a phenomenal job promoting Toastmasters in Mongolia to an audience of 700 supportive toastmasters. It was an inspirational speech, but to my surprise, it turned out to be the most humorous speech I had given in my life. I was overwhelmed by the contagious laughter. When I saw the green board, I was only half way of my speech and I got panic!

I learned a lesson. A good speech is not only about the content and delivery, but also about how to manage the response of the audience. A speaker is a big chorus director who leads the singing group to achieve the best effect. Even I didn't place at the D67 International Speech Contest, but I became keener in observing outstanding contestants on stage, I also moved up to a higher level of the Toastmaster ladder as a communicator and leader.

On the bus from Taichung back to Taipei after the D67 Spring Conference 2010, we were the only Toastmasters group of three, Yvan Chiu, Grand Toastmasters Club's Incumbent President, Gary Kao, a new member of Grand Toastmasters Club, and I. Yvan and I sat next to each other and we talked. What a solace Yvan gave me just being there for me! All my regrets, sorrows, tears went away when Yvan told me that I looked elegant on stage. Gary was sitting at the back of the bus, whenever I looked back, he smiled at me with his thumb up. Gary saw my performance at the in-house, Area H1, Division H, District 67, he told me I gave my best performance at the District 67 International Speech Contest. I was so much at home with Grand’s Cheerleaders team.

The curtain of D67 International Speech Contest 2010 has come down. Was I upset at my unsatisfactory performance? Oh, yes, I had to take a sleeping pill last night, in order not to think about where I fell on stage.

After a good night sound sleep, I am a new Toastmaster today. I want to thank toastmasters friends who supported me, prayed for me, laughed with me during the D67 Spring Conference 2010. I have more stories to share till the curtain of D67 International Speech Contest rises again.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...