2009/09/17

The Hubris Syndrome

Oh, my god, I have the Hubris Syndrome. It is an acquired personality disorder! It is incurable. President Ma Ying-jeou is the worst case in Taiwan and I am the worst case in District 67.

Wednesday noon, September 9th, Gina and I had lunch together. We read the Apple Daily. Suddenly Gina read the eight major symptoms of the Hubris Syndrome of President Ma, She looked at me and I heard she say "check" from the first till the last. "Sherry, you have Hubris Syndrome," said Gina. Wow, it is a bad and good news. I have the same syndrome President Ma does. In the evening, my dear husband echoed Gina's diagnosis. "Honey, for the past two decades, you have always been on the top. It is time we changed position."

What is Hubris Syndrome? Hubris syndrome is popular among politician and public speakers, George Bush, Margaret Thatcher, and most recent President Ma Ying-jeou. Their symptoms include, 1. focus on personal image; 2. love public speaking; 3, want to save the world; 4. over-confident; 5. act on adrenaline. Do these symptoms ring the bell? They are also applicable to TOASTMASTERS. Hubris Syndrome is an acquired personality disorder! And I acquire it in Toastmasters. One of my long time American friends proved it by saying, "toastmasters are hubristic, interested in counting how many ahs people make in public."

Just about when I was at the crossroads whether to quit Toastmasters, Past District Governor Harry Fong came to my rescue. He invited me to join High Performance Leadership (HPL) Program with him and International Director George Yen. I thanked him for your invitation. I told him there was a long way before I could think of HPL. I'm concerned about my Hubris Syndrome at the moment.

Harry replied immediately, "hi Sherry, it seems to me that this syndrome is bothering you now. It would not be easy to get over it within a short while. Please practice Ho'oponopono to see if they help. Feel the peace when you practice hooponopono. When there is peace inside, you will soon regain your energy & power. If it works for you, please send the message to President Ma, too."

Ho'oponopono, what a funny name? Is it something like the Lamaze Technique to help the childbirth? It's a simple process to repeat four mantras, I love you. I am sorry. Please forgive me. And Thank you.

Now, I am in a dilemma. Should I leave Toastmasters? Take it, Leave it? ......Oh, I'd better take it, because 1. Grand is going to celebrate the 35th anniversary in 2010. Without me..; 2. I am the Charter President of Kyoto Toastmasters Club, I am the bridge between D67 and D76. I can be the bridge between Japan's new Prime Minister Hatoyama Yukio and President Ma Ying-jeou; 3. I can help Toastmasters in the world from getting Hubris Syndome. If not me, who?

So, I am here this evening to pay my membership fee to win the in-house humorous speech contest. I shall represent Grand to claim a trophy at the Fall Convention in November. I am confident, I am proud to say that I will win!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...