2009/09/17

The Hubris Syndrome 2.1

This evening, I won the in-house humorous speech contest at Grand Toastmasters Club by delivering a not-so humorous speech. Judging from the response of the audience, I needed to work a lot harder to make people laugh. This is only the beginning of the long journey to claim the championship of National Humorous Speech Contest at D67 Fall Convention 2009 in November.

Fellow Toastmasters, I have a confession to make. I've got the Hubris Syndrome. It's a personality disorder! Just in case you don't know the psychological medical term, it is 大頭症 in Mandarin. It is incurable. I acquire it in Toastmasters.

Wednesday noon, September the 9th, Gina and I had lunch together. While we read the Apple Daily, Gina announced the major symptoms of the Hubris Syndrome of President Ma, managing the Typhone Makarot flood in southern Taiwan. "High Attitude, High self-esteem, Over-confident, Over self-pride, Focus on personal image, Love public speaking," Gina looked at me and laughed. "Sherry, you also have the Hubris Syndrome," Gina continued. Wow, that is a bad news, but I was flattered to be compared with handsome President Ma. In the evening, my dear husband echoed Gina's diagnosis, "Honey, for the past two decades, you have always been on the top. It's time we changed position." "But, I remember you told me you had acrophobia on our wedding night".

What is Hubris Syndrome anyway? It is an acquired personal disorder, among politicians and public speakers, George Bush, Margaret Thatcher, and most recent President Ma Ying-jeou. Fellow Toastmasters, please take a look at the fellow toastmasters around you. The Hubris Syndome can also be found in many TOASTMASTERS.

After Gina's diagnosis, I saw my psychiatrist Dr. Dennis Brown, the following week. Dr. Brown looked sorry and said, "Sherry, it is hard to cure the Hubris, after you work hard to get it. You're programmed to think positively. You're programmed to help others. You're obsessed in dreaming of being leaders to save the world." Oh, my time is up. Sherry, you are rich and beautiful. When you got it, flaunt it. You have every right to have Hubris. Here is my humble bill.

Just about when I was at the crossroads whether to quit Toastmasters, Past District Governor Harry Fong came to my rescue. He invited me to join High Performance Leadership (HPL) Program with him and International Director George Yen. I turned down his invitation by saying "there is a long way before I could think of HPL. I'm more concerned about my Hubris Syndrome."

Governor Harry replied immediately, "Hi Sherry, it seems to me that this syndrome is bothering you now. It would not be easy to get over it within a short while. Please practice Ho'oponopono to see if they help. Feel the peace when you practice Ho'oponopono. When there is peace inside, you will soon regain your energy & power. If it works for you, please send the message to President Ma, too."

Ho'oponopono, what a funny name? Is it something like the Lamaze Technique to help the childbirth? Is it breathing in and out by chanting hooponopono? Being desperate to cure my Hubris, I didn't waste a second to practice Ho'oponopono. It's a simpler process to repeat four mantras, "I love you. I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you". Immediately I practice ho'oponopono with my life partner. "Honey, I love you for letting me be the leader at home. I'm sorry I insist to be over-the-top. I forgive you when don't listen to me. Thank you for not running away!"

Now, I am in a dilemma. Should I leave Toastmasters? Take it, Leave it? ......Oh, I'd better take it, because I still have many important tasks on my shoulder. 1. Grand is going to celebrate the 35th anniversary in 2010. Celebration party, without me, the party queen? 2. I am the Charter President of Kyoto Toastmasters Club, I am the bridge between D67 and D76. I can be the bridge between Japan's new Prime Minister Hatoyama Yukio and President Ma Ying-jeou. A successful sino-Japanese dialogue, without me? 3. I can rescue Toastmasters in the world in time from getting Hubris Syndome. If not me, who?

So, I'm here to tell you my Hubris Syndrome. It is an acquired personality disorder. Chances are, you have it, too, if you are in Toastmasters long enough. I hope I can win the Area H1 humorous speech contest and to win National humorous speech contest at Fall Convention in November, so that I can save Toastmasters from acquiring the Hubris Syndome. Win or lose, let's make Toastmasters a safer place for all!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...