2009/02/19

Andy WARHOL & I

In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes."~~Andy WARHOL

Andy WARHOL and I have a lot in common. We like money. We like arts. We are expressive. And we are narcissistic. But Andy and I are different in many aspects. He is a man. I am a woman. He lives in the west. I live in the east. But when the world is getting flatter and flatter, Andy and I bumped into each other at Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) Memorial Hall last Friday, February 13th. Andy became part of me, in my life and in my dream ever since.

It was 5:30PM when Toastmaster of the Evening Eric Chou called me to talk about Andy WARHOL for ten minutes at Grand Toastmasters Club this evening. Oh, my God, I had less than 30 minutes to prepare for my talk about the artist whose work ranks No. 1 in the world. I was too thrilled to miss the opportunity, and I took the assignment out of the blue with lots of excitement.

I saw Andy WARHOL Exhibition at CKS Gallery last Friday afternoon, with 20 toastmasters and friends. I was touched by his vivid and colorful images of human beings, plants and animals. His interpretation of common materials around us was stimulating and inspiring. His creativity opened my eyes to see our secular world with a brighter perspective. I just love it!

Everyday I wear pink, yellow, green outfits. Everyday I carry a blue tote bag with a banana and Andy's famous saying printed on it since last Friday. I feel and enjoy Andy WARHOL's spirit, strong and powerful, primitive and original, joyful and blissful, shone over on me all the time. Andy WARHOL exhibition will last till March 29th, 2009. Go see it and get injected with his power, energy, ideas and joys.

2 comments:

Luna said...

Hi, Sherry,

It was twenty years ago when I was the President of English Study Club at Chih-Li Commercial College (the school has been renamed as Chihli Institute of Technology), you were our club English teacher on Saturday for a semester. You are also the one who introduced me to Toastmasters Club two decades ago. It did open my eyes and make a dramatic impact in my life. I met my husband at the same T/M club. We have been living in Toronto since 1992, one year after we got married.

I spent a long time as a stay home mom for our two children to cover my husband's long working hours for his business. I am now working part time as a community interpreter at a non-profit organization to help new immigrants and as a office clerical volunteer at it's mental health treatment centre.

Last year, I had a chance to meet two of my Excellence T/M Club friends in Taipei after my late younger brother's funeral. We had a lot to catch up with each other in a very limited time. It's amazing that we didn't see each other for ages but the close feeling between us feel like as if we were never apart. Not long ago, my two friends organized a Excellence T/M Club reunion at the end of January. When I saw the pictures of my old T/M friends, it rewinds all the fond memories and friendship. It surely allures me to join a T/M Club in Toronto. For sure, this will be one of my goal for year 2009.

All in all, just want to say thank you to you as a mentor to me, even we only encountered in each other's life for a semester. But the inspiration for me is immeasurable.

Best regards,

Luna

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Hi Luna,

Guess what? Your comment came as the biggest surprise in year 2009. I must be getting old, I couldn't recall a thing you mentioned, teaching English in college on Saturdays for a semester two decades ago. Wow, how happy I am that I introduced toastmasters clubs to you and your classmates. Gee, you made my day!

Isn't that truly wonderful that we are connected again after all these years, in the cyber world of the big Toastmasters family?

I was in Toronto when I joined Toastmasters Annual Convention in 1993 as the President of Grand Toastmasters Club. I like Toronto, the beautiful bay city, very much. And I highly recommend you to visit a local Toastmasters club in Toronto. You will become an outstanding toastmaster member!

I'm still active in Toastmasters and I'm working on the in-house speech contest at Grand the first Thursday evening in March. Hopefully I can make it to the division level in early April.

Whenever you are in town, don't forget to visit Toastmasters clubs in Taipei with me. I'd like to see how much you've grown in the past two decades.

Love,
Sherry

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...