2007/08/12

Talking Up Toastmasters on the Radio

"Good afternoon. It's five o'clock and you're tuned to 'Smile Taiwan,' the program that keeps you informed of events and goings-on the beautiful island-Formosa. I'm your host, David Cruise, at Share the Spirit Concert Live in Fulong. With me are seven beautiful and MATURED golden ladies from Toastmasters...”

Q: Firstly, welcome you all to 'Smile Taiwan,' you speak English well and you look sexy and healthy, share with us your secrets.

A: We are the seven beauties in Toastmasters, Irene Chen, Trini Ding, Kate Hsu, Sherry Li, Lydia Lin, Michelle Liu, Linda Tseng. We belong to different Toastmasters clubs. We practice public speaking in English twice a month in our clubs. We learn clogging dance once a week. We are happy with our lives.

Q: Public speaking? That's awesome. When I was a child, I was scared of public speaking. Why do you find public speaking interesting?

Irene: I hated public speaking from the bottom of my heart when young. But, I love to learn the communication skills in a friendly and supportive environment. I found Formosa Toastmasters Club six years ago, and I fell in love with her at the first sight. Now I have more confidence to talk about interesting topics in front of people.

Q: Toastmasters? Sounds like a group of masters making a toast?
Trini: In stead of making a toast in the kitchen, we give a toast at a party, like a master of a ceremony. We learn to tell jokes, give impromptu and prepared speeches in our club. I am from China Toastmasters Club.

Q: Is English a common language in Toastmasters?
Kate: There are more than 100 Toastmasters clubs in Taiwan, the majority are English speaking clubs. I have a dual membership. I am a member of Prestige Toastmasters Club, I also belong to a Taiwanese speaking Toastmasters Club. In Taiwan, there are clubs in English, Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hakka, Japanese, Spanish and German.

Q: I am impressed with your language skills. How do you learn so many languages?
Sherry: Use it or lose it. It is about the skills we acquire in life, except our mother tongue. I find Toastmasters the best place to brush up our language skills. I am happy I helped charter Peace Toastmaster club in Taipei eight years ago. I've made a lot of senior friends who speak Japanese like their native language.

Q: You call yourselves golden ladies, why?
Michelle: We are middle-aged women alright, but we don't set limits for ourselves. We enjoy our days and nights with love and energy. We would like to share our happiness with family and friends. That's why we are golden. Golden ladies will not be golden forever, pretty soon we'll advance to diamond ladies. Diamond is a girl's best friend, regardless of the age.

Q: Why to Share the Spirit Concert? Don't you like a quieter place to practice English speaking skills?
Lydia: Anyplace is a great place to learn communication skills. In fact, I love to shop at a busy and noisy traditional market, where I can apply the communication and leadership skills I learn in Toastmasters to the best of my ability. And I am proud of my bargaining skills. That's the reason I like a hot concert on the beach in August to quench the heat. It feels cool to learn something new everyday!

Q: I see you all wear a pair of iron shoes. Why?
Linda: They are the clogging shoes. We enjoy performing clogging dance together. If you want to know more about the dance, please tune to TBVS to see our show at 8 o'clock. In Toastmasters, we learn to take care of our soul. In clogging, we learn to take care of our body.

David: Thank you so much, Pretty and Sexy golden ladies clogging Toastmasters to 'Smile Taiwan'. Wish you a great time at Share the Spirit concert. Dear listeners, do you want to speak English fluently? do you want to make friends? do you want to look pretty and sexy? Find a Toastmasters club near you. For more information about Toastmasters, please go check the website www.toastmasters.org.tw. Thank you for tuning to 'Smile Taiwan', see you next week, wear a sweet smile! Sherry

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...