2013/02/15

The Year of the Snake

The Year of the Snake begins on February 10, 2013 and ends on January 30, 2014. Year 2013 is a year of water Snake. It's said that saving money and being thrifty are the top priorities. And I shall follow suit to save as much as I could in the Year of the Snake. Hopefully I can make a profit of my saving in 2013 in the following 11 years of Chinese Zodiac cycle!

In six days in Po-tzu from February 9th to 15th, I read three Turkish books. It took me four days to finish "My Name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk. Each character was a confession from a protagonist, starting from the murderer in chapter one. With no knowledge of Ottoman Empire, I read the book with interest and patience. I was intrigued by the miniature paintings caught in-between of the Venetian style in the west and Chinese style in the East. I found the link between the Ottoman Empire and Akbar the Great of Hindustan. I leafed through "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk, and didn't read it from cover to cover, as I was less interested in the  political struggles in modern Turkey! 

"The Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak enriched my knowledge about everyday life in Istanbul, including the famous Turkish dessert Ashure* (Noah's Pudding). Each chapter was named after an ingredient of Ashure, a fruit, a spice, except Potassium cyanide-a poison to kill for the last chapter. The book is an eye opener to Turkish cuisine. Ashure is similar to Laba porridge Chinese eat on Laba Festival (the eighth day of the 12th month, lunar calendar). The book is also an eye opener to the conflicts between Turkey and Armenia and the clash of Islam and Catholic Faith in early 20th century.

Before I ventured to the south on Chinese New Year Eve, I finished watching three Turkish DVDs. Journey to the Sun is a 1999 Turkish film written and directed by Yeşim Ustaoğlu. It tells a story of two strangers in Istanbul, a young Turkish man and his Kurdish friend. In the end, the young Turkish man shouldered the responsibilities to take the coffin of his Kurdish friend home with difficulties only to find his home in the middle of no where. Takva (A Man's Fear of God) is a 2006 Turkish film, directed by Özer Kızıltan. It's a story about an honest man living a pious life until he is summoned upon to the service of his religion in the modern world of power, money, and sex. Yol (The Road) is a 1982 Turkish film, written by Yılmaz Güney, and directed by Şerif Gören. It's a story of five prisoners given a week's home leave. I saw the family bonds and ordeals of Turks and Kurds in various regions in Turkey! More Turkish DVDs are on my watch list this week, including Three Monkeys(2008) and Egg, Milk and Honey(2010).

The Year of the Snake starts with a great time to study Turkish history and culture. It reminded me of a dear Turkish friend at Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto from September 2000 till June 2001. Hopefully I can converse with her in Turkish either in Istanbul or in Taipei some day in the future.

* Ingredients of Noah's Pudding (servings of four)
225g / 8oz barley
55g / 2oz dried haricot beans
55g / 2oz dried lima beans
55g / 2oz dried chickpeas
1.2 litres / 2 pints milk
570ml / 1 pint water
55g / 2oz pudding rice
110g / 4oz dried apricots
110g / 4oz sultanas
55g / 2oz currants
1 lemon, zest only
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
450g / 1lb caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp milk
125ml / 4fl oz rosewater
double cream, to serve

For the topping:
55g / 2oz dried figs
55g / 2oz dried apricots
55g / 2oz walnuts
1 tbsp pine nuts
55g / 2oz pistachio nuts
1 tbsp currants

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...