2013/02/28

Mourning on 228


Alpinia zerumbet (Shell Ginger)
Spring is coming! Pink Porcelain Lilies are in full blossom everywhere along the Hsin-tien River. The arching clusters of funnel-like white flowers stood out beautifully in the sun. When my husband handed me a stem he selected for me, I spotted a tiny snail hiding in the pink shading and crinkled yellow lips with red spots and stripes. How I wish I could find Thumbelina sleeping on one of the cozy flowerbeds of pink porcelain lilies.

Pink Porcelain Lily (Alpinia zerumbet) is often called Shell Ginger or Shell Flower, because its individual pink flowers, especially when in bud, resemble sea shells. As I have been learning flower arrangements recently, I thought Pink Porcelain Lilies would just be lovely for a seasonal Ikebana at JYT's Home.

It's a national holiday to remember the 228 Massacre in Taiwan today. After Japan was defeated in World War II in 1945, Taiwan ended 50 years of Japanese rule. The new political and cultural conflicts between Taiwanese and Chinese caused anti-government uprisings in Taiwan. On 227, 1947, an open rebellion took place. It was violently suppressed by the KMT government. The incident marked the beginning of the KMT's White Terror period in Taiwan (coincidently the Red Terror in the US).

Being a second-generation mainlander born in Chia-yi, I didn't know what happened when I was young. All I could remember is that whenever Taiwanese people saw me in streets, they asked to get out of their sight! I didn't understand why! Up till today, many Taiwanese couldn't forget 228, neither could I!

Golden ladies met on 228 to discuss the grand performance at Innovative Toastmasters Club's 15th anniversary in June. We talked about various possibilities to impress the toastmasters and guests and to leave great memories for ourselves. I proposed we perform a clogging dance "Jimmy" by Tamil Singer MIA. We can put on dazzling Indian costumes, as President Joseph Fan, the past president of Innovative TMC, was born in India. It would be a thrilling challenge to dance for Raji Joseph in the audience.

But golden ladies preferred something else. They decided to sing and dance "I Will Follow Him"! I couldn't say no more but just follow suit! But, still deep in my heart, I love to perform the Indian dance, turning round and round in beautiful and colorful sari, especially after watching two famous Bollywood movies, Devdas & Jodha Akbar before Toastmaster Joy Chyr's journey in India for 20 days during the Chinese New Year holidays.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...