2012/03/25

Tellus Theater 104

4th Class--March 25th--2nd Group Reading of "Six Characters in search of An Author" by Pirandello
Upon my invitation, the 4th class fell on the last Sunday in March at Brother Jimmy's place. We had a big dinner after class. Brother Jimmy prepared a full table of authentic Chinese dishes. Eric brought the most famous Brownie from Piemonte in Yung-ho. Daniel brought a bottle of rum from Cuba. An ocean of thanks to them!

During the 4th class, we took turns reading ACT II of "Six Characters in Search of an Author". Everybody was eager into the performance when Daniel instructed us how to put feelings and emotions into the play. Sometimes we were instructed to speak in various dialects, sometimes we were instructed to play in various roles of people from all walks of life, especially those in the margins of the society, not to mention the flirtation, seduction, outrageous scenes.

After class, I have more to study on my desk. I feel like a Ph.D. Candidate in Drama. I need to know as much of the world of drama and theater as soon as possible. I want to be ready before the rehearsals. Whenever Daniel mentions a play, I want to know exactly what character he is talking about, and I can play the role to his satisfaction. Isn't it like the defense of a dissertation?

In order to know the spirit of Pirandelllo, I have the Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri in my hand. It is time I finished reading the difficult to read book this week. Among the Italian literary works, I like the Decameron, the 14th-century medieval allegory by Giovanni Boccaccio the best. All 100 tales from the erotic to the tragic told by ten young people were inspiring and exciting.

PS:Daniel recommended the list of a dozen plays last Christmas. They are (1)A streetcar named desire by by Tennessee Williams, (2)The glass menagerie by Tennessee Williams, (3)Long day's journey into night by Eugene O'Neill, (4)Miss Julie by August Strindberg, (5)A doll's house by Henrik Ibsen, (6)Three sisters by Anton Chekhov, (7)Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen, (8)Salome, (9)The importance of being Earnest, (10)Ulysses, (11)The tricycle, (12)Picnic on the battlefield.

Daniel mentioned six plays during the 4th workshop. They are (1) What The Butler Saw by Joe Orton, (2) The Balcony by Jean Genet, (3)My Beautiful Laundrette by Stephen Frears from a screenplay by Hanif Kureishi, (4)Nuovo cinema Paradiso by Giuseppe Tornatore, (5)Miss Julie by August Strindberg, (6)Decadence by Steven Berkoff, (7)A Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick.

PS:Toastmaster Piao Lin called me in the pharmacy at noon Wednesday, March 28th. She asked me if I would be interested in a coffee gathering with her after work at the Bean Work recommended by Daniel. I was delighted that Piao asked, and I loved the Portuguese cheese cake Piao bought for me from Piemonte, upon my request.

After the afternoon coffee adventure, Piao and I headed for the Central Library Taiwan Branch across the street. Being a card holder of the old library in Taipei, I haven't used the card for more than 15 years. I was excited to know where the new library is in Yung-ho. The building is big and modern with a marvelous view of the Park No. 4. I plan to visit the library after work every Monday and Wednesday afternoon.

With Piao's library card, I borrowed two books, (1)Four Great Play (A Doll's House, The Wild Duck, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People) by Henrik Ibsen; (2)Plays (Ivanov, The Seagull, Uncle Vania, Three Sisters, The Cherry Orchard, The Bear, The Proposal, A Jubilee) by Anton Chekhov.

In the evening, I watched the movie of "My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)" by Stephen Frears from a screenplay by Hanif Kureishi. It was an inspiring movie about the Pakistani immigrants from Karachi seeking their new lives in the city of London. It reminded me of my business trip to Lahor for a week in 1995.

Toastmaster Piao Lin will start her graduate school in Autumn. My best wishes to her admission to National Taiwan University. With her encouragement, I'm thinking seriously about going to the graduate school of drama and theater at National Taiwan University!

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...