2009/05/01

A Story of Success

The definition of success varies from person to person, but one thing is the same, i.e., success doesn't come easy. The success story of Michelle Chen is one among many in Toastmasters, but hers is unique. She won the outstanding worker award 2009 from the Taipei City government in April. On Labor Day 2009, there was a small party in honor of Michelle, a party of three generations, according to Michelle.

"Dear Sherry, thank you so much for our three generations party (I do not mean about age, I said our relationships in Toastmasters). It's such a coincidence that you are the first generation leader who recruited Erick Suen in becoming an excellent TM leader. My mentor Erick Suen recruited Michelle Chen became a Toastmasters in 1997. We three like the generation of grandma-son-granddaughter. I believe that there are many happy three generations families in the Toastmasters", Michelle sent me an email immediately after the party of three generations.

Michelle Chen was born in a conservative Taiwanese family. She is one of the eight daughters of her parents who endured the hardship not being able to give birth to sons. When Michelle was born with one arm deformed, it was not hard to imagine how difficult she and her parents went through. In her early 20's, Michelle faced another physiological challenge in life, she had the insulin dependent diabetes.

Michelle told us that she used to be shy and conservative, but she changed to a different person after she joined Innovative Toastmasters Club. She learned to step out of the comfort zone and took challenges in learning new things. She loves to travel all over the world to explore new frontiers and to meet with people from all walks of life. On the roads in Asia, Europe, America and Australia, Michelle has written her story of success in Toastmasters.

Toastmaster Jose Petrick, a senior lady at age 87, lives in Alice Spring, Australia. Michelle first met her 6 or 7 years ago. Jose is an author by profession and a pianist of her local church. She invited Michelle to visit her home and played Chopin's masterpieces for her. Jose came visit Taiwan upon Michelle's invitation. Michelle's parents treated Jose like an older sister. Because of Michelle, Toastmaster Jose Petrick and Rio Imamura became internet friends.

Toastmaster Rio Imamura, a senior gentleman, came to support District 67 conventions whenever possible. He and Toastmaster Masaki Oshiumi became friends of Michelle's parents. Whenever Michelle travels in Japan, Rio and Masaki take care of Michelle and introduce her to toastmasters in Japan. Rio postponed his trip to US until after Michelle completed her two weeks trip to visit four toastmasters clubs in District 76 in March.

Michelle was pleased to visit four toastmasters clubs in 2009, namely Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kitakyushu and Nakakyushu clubs. She was most impressed with Hiroshima Toastmasters Club, its 40 plus club members, 25-30 active members and 10-15 sleeping Members. Hiroshima club has a strong officers' team under President Setsuko Fujiyama who won D76 speech contest and competed at annual convention in Washington DC in 2006.

The happy celebration party of three generations lasted for two hours on Labor Day 2009. Erick and I were all ears to Michelle's touching stories in Japan and the rest of the world. Michelle wore big smiles when she talked about toastmasters who helped and encouraged her along the way. She was excited to tell us that more toastmasters from Japan would come visit Taiwan in the future, including President Kyoko Kawano of Nakakyshu Toastmasters Club. Read how President Kawano sees Michelle Chen in her eyes with praise and admiration!

Best Chance by President Kyoko Kawano, Nakakyushu Toastmasters Club

I was always waiting for the best chance to travel. And it seemd rather difficult. One day, our club had toastmasters delegates from Taiwan, and I guided them to tour around the Kumamoto city.

When I met Michelle and her companion Amei at their Hotel, the most eventful day started. I was soon told it was Michelle's 12th visit to Japan. She told me frankly of her difficulties in traveling with diabetes. She needed to measure her blood sugar and inject the insulin timely.

Chatting with her, I realised nothing can scare her off once she set her mind. When she was determined to walk, so she walked! She walked all the way from the Bus-center to Kumamoto Castle, up and down the main buildings, Gyoubutei, through the back-street of Shinmachi area, and finally to Hommyoji temple. They never gave up.

(walking)
How many foreign countries have you visited? I cannot count now, because I visited Korea for 2weeks, Viet-num, Laos, Thai, Indonesia, Fillipine, Mainland China, Nepal, Mongolia …to the US?, yes , many times, Name it, I was there back-packing!

(trodding)
Are you on any diet? Yes, I have to mesure what I eat everything strictly at home. But while traveling I eat whatever I could eat. And exercise a lot, instead. So, I have to walk anyway. Oh, I feel so good today!

(panting)
Why do you travel with Amei? Because Amei never complains.

Yea, this marvelous lady, Amei was running energetically with lots of luggages. She does not speak neither English nore Japanese, so our long talk must have been just boring for her. But she was always smiling and watchful for her precious friend, Michelle.

On the hill top of the grave, she shared more private stories of herself sitting on the bench. She told me she was not so outgoing in her 20's and 30's. She did not go out because there was nothing she could do to please others. A great change happened when she joined a Toastmasters Club. She realized there were many things she could do well. Speaking English, Organaizing, Marketting, Management, and especially Traveling and Making friends, she enphasized. She was very confident to say, "I always encourage others to try it themselves. Look at me, see, if I can do it, everybody can do it well enough."

Later on, I took them to the back street alleis called Kaminoura-doori for dinner. While walking, she read Chinese characters, and found a small signboard of Challigraphy class. She said she must interview this carlligraphy teacher, and before I could stop her, she rang the door-bell very quickly. Ding-ding, the bell sounded. Oh,my!! The school was just a cozy private house.

However, the teacher who opened the door was a nice elderly gentleman. When I translated that this lady from Taiwan wanted to see the classroom, and learn about the Calligraphy of Japan, he invited us to his atelier, and explained the equipments and materials. He even allowed Michelle to try the calligraphy. She got what she wanted by ringing the doorbell.

On that night, Michelle and Amei leaf Kumamoto, they invited every member of Nakakyushu TMC to visit their hometown Taipei. When Michelle asked me to visit her, well, I was hesitatant. While hesitating and murmuring, "I'll wait for the best chance…!", I realized the problem with me.

What is the best chance? Look at Michelle. Did she wait for the best chance to travel? No, she took every chance, and tried her best to make it the best one! She takes action first. She rings the doorbells herself. Look at Amei. Did she wait for something enjoyable to happen? No, she herself chose an adventurous trip with Michelle, and tried her best to make it enjoyable.

After all, the best chance never happens while I am just waiting for something good falling in my way. It is my turn to take action. So, facing Michell and Amei, I said loudly, "Thank you, I will visit you as soon as possible". Now I am looking forward to the Exchange with Taiwan. Is anybody interested in joining me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry:

Thank you so much for the article about my story. In fact your writing is too good to me. I'm not such good person as you said. There are lots of room that I must improving. Oh, one minor mistake I want to point out is that I became a diabetes around my 22-24 years old, not was born with it. Thank you so much for your kind compliment.

Michelle Chen

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry,

I love your story of success about Michelle Chen. She is such a big inspiration for me and for all Toastmasters. We are all very very proud of her accomplishment. Both Rio and Masaki are very helpful to her when she travels to Japan. It reminds us that we are a big global family, supporting and encouraging each other to grow, learn and achieve. Great Job!

erick

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...