2008/11/13

Nature or Nurture

Chinese men are susceptible to nasopharyngeal carcinoma and hepatoma, especially those who live in the south, including Taiwanese. The two dreadful cancers are due to the viral infection, by Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) and Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) respectively. They take the toll upon many famous Chinese elite, including Dr. Sun Yat-sen, our National Father. But why southern Chinese? Is it because of the genes or is it because of their living habits?

Linda, Lydia and I met at MRT Chung-shen Station at 10 this morning. We practiced three Xmas clogging dances at MRT's Jazz Stage Area for a couple of hours. The huge open area was covered with many big mirrors on the marble walls with a stage in the center. It was the first time golden ladies practiced dancing on a weekday morning without having to compete with youngsters. It simply felt great to have such a popular dancing spot to our own.

Lydia and I stayed for lunch with Irene. Trini rushed to join us after her school. Be it a random gathering without prior notice, we had a great time chatting and eating. The topic was about life and death. It was a serious topic, but by our age, we can talk about anything without reservations. Only when it is a matter of life and death, that's when friends are for. Friends in need are friends indeed.

Being a microbiology and immunology major, I know EBV and HBV by chance. I studied Herpes Virus for my master degree in the US, that's why I know a little about EBV. I worked on Hepatitis B Vaccination program at Department of Health, that's why I know a little about HBV. I don't usually discuss with golden ladies about infections and diseases, we often talk about fashion, love, and toastmasters.

Among seven golden ladies, we all wish to look younger and more beautiful. To be exact, we wish to have fewer wrinkles on our faces and less fat deposit on our tummies. We exchange the information about cosmetic surgery and the latest fashion designs. Life and death had never been a topic among us till today. What if we were sick? Would we have different expectations of remaining days, months, or years? Some golden ladies would like to be surrounded by family members, others prefer to be solitary to finish their last journey. I'm among the latter, I like to be alone, so that I could have the opportunity to make friends with strangers along the way. It's my way of living, my life journey. And I'm loving it!

In the future, in addition to the vanity fair, I think I might talk more about health issues so that golden ladies can be informed of the potential health threats, especially those among Chinese men. I wish golden ladies know more about nasopharyngeal carcinoma and hepatoma, the two dreadful diseases in Chinese men.

Both nature and nurture shape what we are. We inherit genes from our parents. We are brought up by our parents. Our features, our personalities, our likes and dislikes are influenced by our genes as well as the environment we live in. I'm thankful to my parents for their genes, their tender love and my siblings. My husband and I don't left behind any of our genes, but we are obliged to join hands with others to make a better environment for us all.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...