2008/04/27

Bring People Together

Virginia and I left Lady Lydia's Karaoke Lounge at the same time. It was ten o'clock in the evening, still quite early for a social gathering in a metropolitan city like Taipei. But it was Sunday and it was after the District 67 Spring Convention 2008. Every participant seemed a little eager to call it a night after District 67 Governor, Japanese delegates, and American keynote speaker left at nine. Golden ladies hung around for another hour or so to drink, to karaoke, to dance, and to chat.

On our way up to the grand hall from the lounge, Virginia asked me what I enjoyed the most in my life at the moment. I looked up at the huge crystal chandelier high above the marble ceiling, "bring people together," I said, without a second thought. If time can be regarded as a raw material, and bring people together can be regarded as the finished product, golden ladies toastmasters were very productive last night. All seven golden ladies toastmasters showed their support to bring people around the world together to showcase the toastmasters activities in Taiwan both in public and in private.

District 67 Governor Jack Tsai brought his family to the party yesterday evening. It was the second time in a row he attended the joint D67 & D76 Toastmasters party after D67 conventions. Three years ago, we worked together to welcome 11 Japanese delegates from D76 at Cafe' Astoria after D67 Fall Convention 2005 in Taipei. Time flies. I've witnessed how much Jack has grown in toastmasters in the past three years. I was so happy that Jack brought his lovely wife and cute daughter to the joint party.

President Kazue Fujino of Fukuoka Toastmasters Club and EVP Hiromi Takigawa of Dazaifu Toastmasters Club were our guests of honor. Both of them were great karaoke singers. In fact, most Japanese toastmasters I know are excellent karaoke singers. I am convinced that Japanese are born musicians and vocal singers. That's why karaoke was created in Japan. But Taiwanese are no second. We are good at karaoke, too. So when Japanese and Taiwanese meet, karaoke is the medium of voice to bring people together.

Of course, our honor of the honors was Rory Vaden, the first runner up of public speaking 2007. He is a great speaker no doubt. On top of that, he is tall, he is handsome, and he is young. He is 25 years old. He can be a son for any golden ladies toastmasters. Rory played ping pong with me in kimono. I must say it was funny that I didn't catch the ping pong well, but my long sleeves (振り袖 furisode) did. Now I know why young Japanese women wear long sleeves kimono (to catch balls from the young and handsome).

I like toastmasters very much. I've enjoyed being among toastmasters since the day I joined the great non-profit organization 22 years ago. The Toastmasters International is a powerhouse where I exchange energy with members and recharge myself on a constant basis. From reading the toastmaster monthly, attending regular meetings and district conventions, enjoying camaraderie of golden ladies toastmasters, I am fortunate to be in a big happy-go-lucky school full of enthusiastic and passionate students and teachers.

I thank all participants who came to the Joint D67 & D76 Toastmasters Party yesterday evening. It has been more than another successful "bring people together" party. The Taiwan, Japan, US Toastmasters Party after D67 Spring Convention 2008 is one of the most memorable parties for golden ladies toastmasters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry-san,

Thank you for your hospitality.
The Golden Ladies are really beautiful and amazing ladies like "Charlie's Angels".

I enjoyed KARAOKE, not only singing but also listening to Taiwanese TMs' voice with full of sentiment.

To sing along with music and with Taiwanese Toastmasters was really a heartwarming experience.

For a next match, I will practice Mandarin KARAOKE and dancing.

See you in Hiroshima & Fukuoka(Dazaifu).

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Dear Hiromi,

I admire your learning spirit in Toastmasters. I am sure you will be able to converse in Mandarin soon. How about chartering a Mandarin speaking toastmasters Club in Japan? That would be awesome!

Thank you for your active participation in Joint Division C and Division H Toastmasters meeting Thursay evening, the 24th. Your humorous speech about Japanese Keigo was inspiring. I believe many toastmasters wish to know more about modern Keigo after listening to your speech.

Thank you for helping Lydia and me tie the Obi at the Joint D67 and D76 Toastmasters party Sunday evening, the 27th. You are a talented singer. Your voice was very sweet.

Looking forward to listening to Hiromi's Mandarin songs in Hiroshima in May.

Anonymous said...

Sherry-san, a week has quickly passed but I'm still fondly recalling the wonderful weekend in Taipei. Many members of our club are eager to listen to me talk about our experience in the Spring Conference in Taiwan and I am looking forward to meeting them and talk about it before long. It's my pleasure to be seeing you again in Hiroshima and Fukuoka. Thank you very much for everything you've done for us during our stay there. Please give my best regards to the other toastmasters and see you again soon in Japan!

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Dear President Fujino,

Thank you for your full support to D67 Spring Convention 2008 in Taipei last weekend.

In return, Taiwan 7 from Japanese speaking toastmasters clubs in District 67 will attend D76 Spring Conference 2008 in Hiroshima next weekend, the 17th of May. We'd be delighted to take the opportunity to visit as many toastmasters clubs in Kyushu as possible during our trip. Hopefully some members of Taiwan 7 can manage to join your regular club meeting in person.

林秋蓮 Lin Chiu-lien, TM, Success Toastmasters Club
游碧森 Yu Pi-sen, TM, Success Toastmasters Club
李柯碧女 Lee Ko Pi-nu, TM, Success Toastmasters Club
陳惠美 Amy Chen, CTM, Pacific & China Toastmasters Club
黃俊嘉 James Hwang, ATM-B, Peace & Legacy Toastmasters Club
王詩芬 Daphne Wang, CTM-CL, Peace & Fu-jen Toastmasters Club
李向慈 Sherry Li, ATM-B, Peace & Grand Toastmasters Club

Looking forward to seeing you soon, Sherry

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...