2008/01/27

Toastmaster Magazine Reading Gathering in January

Grand Toastmasters Club's first Toastmaster Magazine reading gathering took place this morning at Ikari Cafe in Hsin-tien. There were five of us, four club officiers and one new member. We studied three articles in January issue, 1. The Art of Speechwriting by David Zielinski Page 10; 2. Visualize Success--And It Can Be Yours by Judy M. Bailey Page 24; 3. The Joy of Journaling by Joy Lardner, DTM Page 27.

Liya Huang took charge of Article 1 and shared with us her experiences about the art of speechwriting, including the research process, one word after another, and writing for the ears. She echoed with Hal Gordon to daw a picture with words and cited the famous remark of President Franklin Roosevelt's "I hate war". She agreed with Marilynn Mobley, the really great writers and speakerss give us insight and make us say, "I never thought of it that way".

Carrie Chiang took charge of Article 2 and shared with us her ture story of the power of the will. When she opened the magazine, turned to page 24, read the article, she was overwhelmed by the contents. It was like a taylor made article for her because she just visited a dream shop she wished to own. She announced her goal, visualized it, and she is on her way to take action. We wish her all the best!

Yvan Chu took charge of Article 3 and was proud of her sense and ability to decipher the nationality of the writer. While reading the article, she felt the writer was not a US citizen. She was right. Joy is Canadian. She also compared the joy of journaling with the happiness of game playing to get a token of encouragement by achieving a goal at a time.

As the hostess of the first reading gathering, I encourage every participant to practice visualization of the goal and journaling to spark the creativity in our spare time as the homework to upload on Grand's website for other members' reference. 1. Visualize the Goal with Five Senses (page 26); 2. Write down 10 things you like about youself, five good things that happened today, five goals you are working on and 10 things that bring you ease. (Page 28)

Reading Toastmaster Magazine with the young is no different from with the golden ladies. It is fulfilling and inspiring to see the young Toastmasters get motivated by the authors and ready to take their advices and follow their footsteps to become a better communicator and leader in their lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is my homework one (Page 26)!

Goal: To give my 130th Birthday Party for 130 people. (I believe every human being can live a long and quality life, if she or he takes care of the body and soul with conscious and care.)

Sight: I see young and old friends from all over the world in colorful dresses. The huge cake of 130 layers in the center of the party venue grabs and holds my attention.

Hearing: I hear a round of applause after I make my birthday wishes. People ask me about my secret of longevity. I hear the cheerful laughter and the clinking of champagne glasses.

Smell: I smell the fragrance of flowers, perfume of women, and cologne of men.

Taste: The international buffet was authentic, the caviar from the Baltic sea and the lobster sashimi from Pacific Ocean are my favorite.

Feel: I feel the warmth of the collective energy emitted from the birthday party participants.

Anonymous said...

Here is my homework two (Page 28)!

Ten Things I like about myself:
1. My Height
2. My Weight
3. My Smile
4. My Will
5. My Spirit
6. My Hands
7. My Legs
8. My Senses
9. My Freckles
10. My Winkles

Five good things that happened today (Sunday, January 27th, 2007)
1. I met with Grand's members to read Toastmaster Magazine January issue in the morning;
2. We sat at a table for six by the window at Ikari Cafe' to enjoy a casual reading gathering;
3. I took an afternoon walk with my husband by Hsin-tien River;
4. I made a delicious rice noodles dinner with vegetables freshly purchased from the market;
5. I finished reading "Wages of Guilt" by Ian Buruma before I went to bed.

Five Goals I am working on:
1. Write one hundred articles in Japanese
2. Produce a musical with Toastmasters at D67 Spring Convention in Taipei in April and D76 Spring Conference in Hiroshima in May
3. Travel extensively in Japan
4. Organize a writers (bloggers) Toastmasters group
5. Read "The Secret" by Ronda Byrne and "Perfume--The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind

Ten Things that put me at ease
1. A meal
2. A drink
3. A siesta
4. A book
5. A movie
6. A dance
7. A song
8. A bath
9. A friend
10. A man

Sherry Li 李向慈 said...

Being a capricious person, I rewrote with minor modification of my original homework as follows,

Ten Things I like about myself:
1. My Height
2. My Weight
3. My Smile
4. My Will
5. My Spirit
6. My Hands
7. My Legs
8. My Senses
9. My Tongue
10. My Wrinkles

Five Goals I am working on:
1. First Billion (A penny saved is a penny earned.)
2. Second Book (in Japanese)
3. Third House (outside Taipei)
4. Fourth Profession (DTM)
5. Fifth Hobby (Catching Rice Bags in the Air)

Here I am writing things down to change my life!

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...