2011/06/25

Millennium Concert of Legacy

It was a relaxing Saturday afternoon concert at the GuoGuang Opera House (國光劇場), featuring many talented performing artists on a typhoon day. Taiwan Music Center organized a free concert to music lovers and connoisseurs of the folk art of talking and singing in the past century in Taiwan.

The Millennium Concert of Legacy (傳唱千古情音樂會) was divided into three parts, Voice of Formosa(寶島之聲), Theatrical Music(戲曲音樂), and Innovation of Traditional Music(傳統元素新創作). Voice of Formosa includes Hakka singer of Lai Bi-shia, Taiwanese narrative singer of Yang Shiu-chin, and Lileh of Taiwan-Burun Tribe. Theatrical Music includes Nanguan, Beiguan, Bangzi Opera, Peking Opera, Taiwanese Opera.

As it was the first time for me to visit the GuoGuang Opera house, I arrived one hour in advance to get familiar with the surroundings. I visited the Taipei City Library Mucha branch and I bought two summer hats in the nearby market. Toastmaster Kate and I met for lunch at a cozy coffeehouse before the concert.

After the concert, Kate and I waited at the gate eagerly to send our regards to the performers. When Kate introduced Ms. Liao, Chun-chi, the Taiwanese Opera singer to us. At the age of 76, Ms. Liao looked elegant and poised. She has been devoted to the heritage of Taiwanese Opera since her retirement.

I grew up with Taiwanese opera and Peking opera on TV in my childhood. I watched Peking opera with my parents. I watched Taiwanese opera with my brothers and sisters. I couldn't wait to see Yang Li-hua (楊麗花) playing heroic man squashing evil and romatic man with the sweethearts in the love scenes.

Taiwan is a small island of many ethnic groups, Taiwanese, Mainlanders from all over China, Hakka, aboriginal people. The mix and match of languages and cultures provided a rich array of elements for artists to create their works of amazing voices and for people to enjoy the versatile and colorful lives.

No comments:

義大利語 B1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeZWpp32LY&list=PL6YsTaFq7KcOn4ITiO7Ury0Lma_Jx2rK7&index=37 義語字典 https://context.reverso.net/transl...